Wednesday, October 15, 2014

STOP TRYING TO DO IT YOURSELF!



Luke 18:27  But He said, "The things which are impossible with men are possible with God." 

Let me be honest here, this "do it yourself" attitude has to stop.  We try and we try and we try to do things our way and they never work out.  We struggle and we struggle under the weight of the pressure we put on ourselves and we wonder why we have heart attacks and stress.  It is ridiculous!  I am ridiculous.  Over and over again in my life I try to do things my way and whenever I do it seems like I end up creating a mess of things.  No matter what I do, it never turns out right, it nevers works out the way I imagined.  This "do it yourself" attitude has taken me places I didn't want to go.  I guess I feel like sometimes God is way too busy to deal with my petty little issues so I'll do Him a favor and handle it for myself, after all I should be able to do it for myself, right?   I mean I know what I want to do and I know what I should do, so if I just do it my way then God will be okay with that, right?  Even though this may lead me off His path for my life, I still don't want to burden Him for this petty little thing.  How foolish!

You see over and over again I have stumbled and fallen off the path God has for my life.  Over and over again I have done thing my way and in my timing because quite frankly I get tired of waiting on God.  What is it in me that feels that I can do it myself?  I know it's that old stubborn pride.  "Look what I did all by myself!"  "I didn't need God's help, I did it all by myself."  Yea and how does that turn out?  Not good!  When I do this I end up walking around in a fog.  Confused and bewildered, scared and unaware of the Pandora's Box, that I have just opened.  When I do it myself, I end up not being able to see the next step I should take.  I struggle to try to make sense of the outcome and I look at what I have done and wonder why?  Why did I try to do it myself?  You see for me it is impossible to direct my life.  When I do I end up screwing it up somehow.  When will I learn?  What does it take for me to say "God I surrender! I am so tired of doing this life by myself.  I am done with trying to handle all the pressures of society alone."   

What is impossible with man is possible with God.  God can do what I cannot do.  God can move mountains, if we ask Him.  God can soften the hardest of hearts.  God can calm a raging storm.  God can cause favor to rain down on me.  I can do none of those things.  No matter how hard I try, no matter how strong I am, God is stronger and more powerful than I am.  Try as I may to do the seemingly impossible, it never works out if I try to do it myself.  Yes, the Spirit of God lives in me.  I have His power and His strength available for me to use, but if I don't ask for His help, if I don't pray for His help and His will (ouch, that one is scary) then I usually end up doing it by myself and messing up.  Oh if I would just learn this lesson, how much better life would be.  There have been so many times in my life when I can actually picture God standing next to me with His hands on His hips, saying, "Go ahead and do it yourself if you must.  I'll be standing right here ready to fix it for you because I love you."   

Listen God understands our "do it yourself" attitude.  The thing is that if we would just surrender to Him and His will for our life, things would run much smoother.  Stress would be a thing of the past and life would be so much more amazing.  There have been many times when I have surrendered my life to God and His will and there have been many times I have taken back control of my life.  Trust me when I let God have control of my life, the impossible becomes possible and life is amazing.  I would rather let God run my life than myself.  I am done (hopefully forever) with this stupid "do it yourself" attitude.  Yes God has a lot of very big issues to deal with in this world, but He always has time for me, His daughter.  He is never too busy to listen to me or let me cry on His shoulder.   He loves me more than I deserve and He has forgiven me for that "do it myself" attitude.  He has once again reached down and picked me up from my sins and cleansed me with the blood of His Son Jesus.  I have seen the impossible become possible when I surrender the impossible me to the possibilities that God has waiting for me.  No more "do it yourself" attitude for this girl!  Who's with me?

Lord, remove this "do it yourself" attitude from me today!   Today I surrender to your will for my life.  You alone can do the impossible so I give my life and myself to you today.  I trust in you alone and rely on you alone.  In Jesus name I pray, amen!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that we have such a powerful God that loves us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on this one Sister, absolute truth here in freedom while at adversities here in this world that can't tackle us anymore, knowing the outcome God wins and has won, Thank you Jesus for this
    In God one has won with God
    We can count it all joy, when we enter into anything here in life, good or bad

    ReplyDelete

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...