Friday, April 3, 2015

"IT IS FINISHED"




John 19:30  When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, "It is finished," and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. 

His body was scared beyond recognition.  Almost beaten to death, this man they called Jesus, died a criminals death.  His message was unfailing love.  His message was unconditional acceptance.  His message was true freedom.  His message was ultimate forgiveness.  His message was unbelievable  peace.  His message was amazing grace.  His message was endless mercy.   His message was simple, yet the Pharisees considered Him  a threat.  His message was uncomplicated, yet the Pharisees feared Him.  

The Pharisees knew that the Messiah was coming yet they missed him, how?  In their arrogance and ignorance they were looking for a king who would wage war, a physical battle, with Rome. They expected a king who would help Israel regain it's strength and defeat the armies of every nation in the world.  They thought that the king would be strong and powerful.  They were not looking for the Son of God to be born to a simple carpenter.  They were not looking for a Messiah who came to serve others.  They were not looking for a meek and gentle Messiah.  Jesus was not what they expected.

For many years I thought it was the Pharisees who crucified Jesus but I was wrong.  God had Jesus crucified.  It had been His plan from the start.  God knew that there had to be one final sacrifice for the forgiveness of my sins.  No more sacrificial lambs on an alter.  God wanted a relationship with me.   God wanted to be my friend, but in my sinful nature I could not stand in His presence.  So He did what He had planned.  He sent His Son Jesus Christ, to die in my place.  

Was Jesus thinking for me as the the whips ripped open His skin?  Was Jesus thinking of me as the crown of thorns pierced His brow?  Was Jesus thinking of me as He stood before the crowd and heard the words, "crucify Him"?  Was Jesus thinking of me as He carried His cross through the streets?  Was Jesus thinking of me as the spikes pierced His hands and feed?  Was Jesus thinking of me when He breathed His last breath?  

My Savior, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Son of God, was tortured for me.  As the blood poured out His body, His thoughts turned to me.  He paid the price for my sins.  His was convicted for my crimes against God.  He paid the price for me.  Why?

I don't deserve this!  I deserve to be the one on the cross.  I deserve to be the one who was tortured and beaten.  I deserve to die for my sins.   He did nothing to deserve this, yet He went willingly.   Why?

As I look into the eyes of my Savior on the cross, tears fill my eyes and my heart leaps out of my chest.  He loves me so much that He laid down His life instead of me having to pay the price.  WOW! 

When I hear the words, "It is finished!", I am struck by the power of His love for me.  I am drawn to me knees as I try to breathe in His love for me.  I am overwhelmed by His love for me.  I am a sinner who has been redeemed by the saving grace of Jesus Christ.  My debt has been paid, I have been found not guilty.  My life has never been the same.  

Jesus Christ has changed me from the inside out and because of His death on the cross I can now stand in the presence of God.  I have been filled with His Holy Spirit and I have overcome death.  It is not I who lives, but He who lives in me.  It is not my will that is done, but His will that is done through me.  I am not the same person I was.  "I have the hope of eternity"?  No!  I have the promise of eternity!!  He who lives in me, has overcome the world and through His blood, I will also overcome this world.

Jesus Christ, I still find it hard to fathom what you did for me on that cross so many years ago.   I thank you for the sacrifice you made for me.  I reach out to you today and ask you to once again take a hold of my life and continue to transform me, in your glorious name I pray, amen!  




3 comments:

  1. All done for you and all persons by Christ at the death of, we are all forgiven through Christ to Father to see us as perfect to learn from. This takes place the first day of belief. Father in the Spirit of, known as the Holy Spirit and teaches us this truth I just said you are new. There is no working for this, none it is done in you the day you first believed, sealed, the sin killed, and you healed. This world tries to keep you from seeing this including the old self of you before this born again in Spirit and truth took place and made you perfect in Father's sight, just like that, faster than a snap of the fingers DONE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DEFINITELY AGREE WITH YOU, HOWARD SCHULTZ. THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT AND INSPIRATION. THANKS, LORD GOD, FOR YOUR NEVER-ENDING COMPASSION, MERCY, AND FORGIVENESS OF ALL MY SINS THRU JESUS CHRIST. A
    HUGE AMEN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN PRAISE LORD JESUS FOR EVER

    ReplyDelete

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...