Friday, November 21, 2014

WHAT IS CHRISTIANITY TO ME?



You know I pondered quite a while about writing this but I truly feel called to write this today.  There are so many different opinions and definitions, so many emotions and feelings tied to the word Christianity.  Government's may label it a religion, non believers may label it a cult.  But to me these things have nothing to do with Christianity.  For me Christianity has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with a relationship. You see for me I have no part in religion, in fact to be honest I want nothing to do with religion.  I do not adhere to a list of do's and don'ts, rituals and rules are not in my vocabulary. Sorry if that offends anyone, but for me Christianity is about a relationship. You see for me, God is not just my Heavenly Father, He is my Heavenly Daddy.  That's right I call Him Daddy.  For some of you religious folks out there that may just be a little to disrespectful, but let me tell you, there have been many times I have felt like I have sat in His lap and cried.  I have felt His fatherly arms around me, holding me as I cried.  I never called my dad on earth, father.  That just seems so formal, cold and distant.  No, my God is my Heavenly Daddy.   He loves me like a daddy does, He holds me like a daddy does.  He has dried my tears and healed my heart.  That my friends is just a small part of what my relationship with God looks like.

Christianity for me is a faith and belief in my Heavenly Daddy!  I know I may get a lot of flack from this blog, but this is who I am and what I believe. For me it's not about religion, it's about relationship.  I have been adopted into the family of God because of my faith and belief.  For me, Christianity is not about a list of rules you have to fulfill in order to be accepted.   There is no prerequisite required and there is no list of good deeds I have to do in order to be a christian.  I didn't have to take a test or be interviewed by a panel of distinguished pastors. I came to God tattered and worn, a sinner who constantly screwed things up and hurt people.  I was messed up and searching for love and acceptance.  I never found that in religion.  What I found in religion was a list of rules and rituals you had to perform in order to be accepted.  What I found in religion was a building filled with people that seemed cold and unwelcoming.  Religion for me, seemed filled with people who where there every Sunday, because they had to.  Religious people seemed very judgmental.  God forbid you walk into their church in shorts and a tank top.   

Listen I don't mean to offend anyone and if you are, I am sorry.  My Christianity is about a relationship with God.  The only way to have that relationship, for me, was to accept what  Jesus Christ did for me on the cross.  You see I by myself cannot have a relationship with a Holy God while I am so filled with sin.  I needed to be forgiven, I needed to pay my debt for my sin.  To be honest there is no way I could ever pay the price for the sins I have committed.  God knew this but God still wanted to have a personal relationship with me, so He sent His Son Jesus Christ to pay the price in my place.  Jesus paid for my sins.  He cleared all my debt and wiped every sin, every stain.  Now I stand before God clean and redeemed by the blood of Jesus Christ.  By accepting Jesus Christ as my Savior, I now have a personal relationship with my Heavenly Daddy.  

Philippians 2:5-11  Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 

I gave up on religion a long time ago and knelt down at the foot of the cross and accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior.  Since then I have changed so much that I am shocked at myself.  I was never given a list of do's and don'ts that I have to do or not do, instead my heart has changed and I no longer want to sin.  Because I have a personal relationship with God, and because Jesus Christ is my Savior and the Holy Spirit of the Living God lives in me I chose to do good works, I choose to be a better person, not because I have to but because I want to.  For me, Christianity is about my relationship with God, my Heavenly Daddy, not about a religion.

Heavenly Daddy, thank you for accepting me into your family.  Thank you for sacrificing your Son so that we can have a personal relationship.  Thank you for loving me and giving me amazing grace.  I pray that this blog may reach one person out there who is looking for a relationship for you, in Jesus name I pray, amen!    


No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...