Tuesday, November 18, 2014

GET READY TO RUN YOUR RACE





I don't know what it is about running that fascinates me.  I do not like running, I do love to walk, but it intrigues me to watch runners.  These athletes, like many, train and condition their muscles for years.  For some, it takes hours of exercise and hours of training everyday to so that they can compete in 1 race.  I am astounded by their dedication and their endurance.  During the heat of the summer months and the bitter cold of the winter, I see athletes running.   Against all odds, in spite of possible injury, they continuously struggle and fight to prepare for the upcoming race.  As I sit back in my lazy boy chair I wonder if I could ever be as dedicated as they are.  Training to running a race does not sound like fun to me. I am in awe of those who are able to do this.  They train for months, even years to run 1 race in the Olympics.  Against the odds, they line up with sometimes hundreds of other runners who have prepared the same way they have.  They battle to keep ahead of the others, they go faster and faster in order to cross that finish line first.  Is it worth it all?  Is it worth all the pain and all the time?  I am sure if we ask any athlete who has won a gold medal in the Olympics, they would say, "YES!!  It was all worth it!"

My friends and fellow believers, we are in a race here.  We need to build up our endurance and our stamina if we want to reach the lost of this world.  We have to be like athletes and train our mind and body to run this race.  unlike runners we do not have to physically train our bodies, we need to fill our minds up with the word of God.  We need to strengthen the Holy Spirit that lives inside of us and tap into the gifts and fruits of the spirit that we have been given.  We need to chose our words more carefully and we need to be cautious with our actions.  You see as we are running this race, non believers are watching us.  They make mental notes of our words and actions.  They are judging us to see if what we say is what we do.  They are listening to us to see if our words are judgemental or loving.   Yes, whether you feel like it or not we are in a race.  We are racing to save lives.  We are racing to witness to others about the truth of Jesus Christ.  If we do not train ourselves with the word of God, and if we do not listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit, we will stumble and fall.  If that happens we have no chance of winning the race, let alone completing it.

Hebrews 12:2  Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed--that exhilarating finish in and with God--he could put up with anything along the way: cross, shame, whatever. And now he's there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. 

We need to keep our eyes on Jesus Christ.  He is the ultimate example of someone who finished the race and won!  He had the endurance He needed in order to face the trials and pain He experienced.  He had the ambition and drive to train for this race He faced.  He (like us) had the power of God available to Him which instilled the strength and abilities He needed to compete.   My friends, through the Holy Spirit, we also can have this power along with the endurance we need to run this race.  We need to learn from the life of Jesus Christ, that is the only way we can compete and come out victorious.   I plan on training for this race, who's with me?

Lord fill me with your Holy Spirit so that I may have the power, strength and endurance I need to train for this race.  Help me to complete this race I am in and become unstoppable like you were, in Jesus name I pray, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...