Thursday, November 27, 2014

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!



Philippians 4:6-7  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 

Today is a day for thanks.  As we go through this day this verse must ring ever in our hearts and mind.  In fact to be honest it is one we must memorize and remind ourselves of on a daily basis.  Way too often we get wrapped up in the news and the bad things happening in this country and the world that we lose focus of the many millions of things we have to be thankful for.  Alas it is so easy to get a doomsday attitude when we listen to the news.  For many years I avoided the news like a plague but instead now I have learned to use the news as a tool for my prayer life.  It makes me appreciate my simple, uncomplicated life so much more.  

As I sit here today I want to do nothing but search my heart and give thanks for all that my God has given me and my family.  Sure I could sit and worry and be anxious about life, but why?  What good does worry do?  What does worry change?  Worry is a waste of time.  Worry is pointless when you stop to think that it will not change anything and to sit and worry about something that may never happen is just plain dumb.  

When I read this verse, I am reminded that when I pray, I need to give thanks to God for all I have.  Too often we come to God with a list of prayers, a list of needs and a list of wants.  How about changing that up?  Instead of asking, lets take time to thank Him for what He has given us.  Okay maybe you feel like you don't have much to be grateful for, well you're reading this right? So be grateful for the internet, be grateful for sight to be able to read and the education you had that taught you to read.  

Take time to look around you.  What do you have to be thankful for?  Health?  Job?  Family?  (Even as dysfunctional as it is, you still have a family.)  Friends?  Oxygen to breath?  Sunshine?  Rain?  Love?  A roof over your head?   Heat?  Air conditioning?  Water?   Listen I could go on forever with things we need to be thankful for, but we need to get this thankfulness down deep in our heart.  No matter how rough life is, it could always be worse.  Lets start looking at the bright things in life and give thanks to a God who gave us the greatest gift in the world to be thankful for, Jesus Christ who has given us Salvation and the promise of eternal life in Heaven.  My friends, that is something to be extremely thankful for. 

Today I come before you to thank God for each and every one of you.  I thank God for Jerry.  I am thankful we have found a church that nourishes each of our souls and together we are growing closer to God every day.  I am thankful that Jerry loves me more than life itself.  I am thankful for my children, my son-in-laws and my grandchildren.  I am thankful that I had a mother and father that instilled in me a love and a faith in Jesus Christ. I am thankful for my friends who have been with me through many trials.  I am thankful for my church and the wonderful pastors who have taught me so much. But number one on my list is I am thankful to have a God who loves me and who sacrificed His Son Jesus Christ so that I could have the chance to live in eternity with Him.  I could sit here and cry when I stop to think about all I have to be thankful for.  Please take time today and everyday to give thanks for all the blessings in your life.   

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Thank you God for loving me even when I don't deserve it.  Thank you Jesus for dying on the cross for me even though I don't deserve it.  Thank you Jesus for saving me and pouring down your grace upon every minute of every day, in Jesus name I pray, amen!

2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for your beautiful spirit and your words. We are incredibly blessed to be a part of this community of faith. Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a blessing sister Debra. I always read your posts and share them with a friend. God bless you and your loved ones:-) Marisol

    ReplyDelete

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...