Wednesday, November 19, 2014

TAKE OFF THOSE BLINDERS




For the most part many of us wander around this world with blinders on.  We try our best not to see what is happening in this world around us.  We don't want to see evil, so the blinders go on.  We don't want to see the truth so we hide behind blinders.  We don't want to accept the truth and these blinders help keep us from coming face to face with the truth of this world we live in.  The stark reality of this world is often too much to bare so the blinders we wear can sometimes protect but way too often, these blinders keep us hidden in our own little comfort zone.   I remember my grandma had a set of 3 monkeys and these monkeys were labeled "See no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil".  One monkey of course had his hands over his eyes, the other had his hands over his ears and the other had his hands over his mouth, I think you get the idea.  he idea behind these monkeys was if we see no evil, hear no evil or speak no evil, then evil doesn't exist, but there's only one problem with that, it does exist.

While blinders may shelter us from the evil in this world, it also keeps us from seeing where there are needs in the world we can meet.  In other words blinders also keep us fro stepping up and stepping out.  If we have blinders on, we won't see that homeless sitting in a cardboard box in the middle of winter.  If we have blinders on, we won't see that older lady who needs help carrying in her groceries.  If we have blinders on, we won't see our loved one crying from the words we said that just pierced their heart.  While blinders can protect us, they can also prevent us from helping others.  I used to walk around with blinders on.  I didn't want to see or hear the latest news reports or read about what is happening in this world, but in doing so I also prevented myself from praying for what is going on.  If I don't see or hear what's going on, I can't help.  Sure it may keep me happy and joyful, no one likes bad news, but it also make me oblivious to what is happening around me and that is not always a good thing.  The one very dangerous thing about blinders is that if we keep wearing them we may miss the best thing in our life.    

Imagine missing out on that special someone because we had our blinders on.  Imagine missing out on a beautiful sunset or sunrise because we had our blinders on.  There is so much good we can miss by having our blinders on.  It's time to drop the blinders!  Burn them in fact.  Yes, they may protect us from evil but they will also protect us from a lot of good things that are happening in the world.  How many amazing things have we missed out on because of those dumb blinders?  Think about it!  There are so many things we miss out on because of those blinders.  I have seen people walking around with blinders and quite frankly it's scary.  You cannot see where you are going if you have blinders on.  You cannot see who is standing right in front of you if you have blinders on.  Don't believe me?  Read the Bible, the Pharisees had blinders on and they missed Jesus Christ, the Messiah they had been waiting on for many years!   Even the disciples had blinders on after Jesus died on the cross.  They thought the story was finished because Jesus was dead and buried, but the surprise was on them.  

Luke 24:15-16  While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them.  But their eyes were kept from recognizing him. 
  
They had their blinders on.  They forgot what Jesus talked about.  They didn't recognize Him.  Luckily shortly after this their blinders were removed and the saw their risen Savior but imagine what would have happened if their blinders had not been removed?  When we have our blinders on, we are a lot like the disciples, we miss out on Jesus Christ.  Throw those blinders out in the trash, get rid of them and open your eyes to see the true glory of God revealed to us by Jesus Christ.  Only then can we ever see the full potential we have in this world, only then can we reach out and help others like Jesus did.

Lord, remove the blinders from my eyes and help me to see you wherever I go.  Give me your eyes and your ears to be a witness to everyone I meet, in Jesus name I pray, amen!

1 comment:

  1. I pray that God will continuously keep my eyes open to His truths!

    ReplyDelete

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...