Friday, February 13, 2015

LOVE AND RESPECT







After spending 37 Valentine's Days together I still love this man to the moon and back.  He is my soul mate, my strength, and my hero here on Earth.  He has been there for me through thick and thin, good times and bad, richer and poorer and in sickness and health.  We have been through so much together we could write a book.  I have yelled and cried, I have pouted and stomped my feet, I have huffed and puffed, but he never ran away.  

You see 35 years ago we made a vow together before the Lord.  We took that vow very seriously!  There were times when it may have been easier to throw in the towel and give up, but we knew that if we worked together we would make it.  

You see our marriage is a threesome.  Now don't get the wrong idea here!  God is the third person in this marriage between Jerry and I.  He has been from the start.  He has pointed out our faults and where we needed to grow and change, and He has pushed us to become better people.  Together with God by our side we have endured many trials and storms, but we have also enjoyed great times of joy and peace.

A few years ago we read a book called "Love and Respect".  To say it was an amazing book would be an understatement.  It was life changing for me because for me to love Jerry, was easy.  That is my very nature to love an show love, but to learn how to really respect my husband and show him respect was and still is challenging.  You may wonder where I got the idea about respecting my husband.  Well read the Bible verse below.     

Ephesians 5:33  A husband also must love his wife. He must love her just as he loves himself. And a wife must respect her husband

You see God knows our very nature so well that He has to tell us wives to respect our husbands.  Also the opposite is true for husbands.  Men naturally know how to respect each other.  They do it all the time, but to show love and affection is something they have to work at,  That is why God put it in the Bible.  

I can get so wrapped up in my selfishness that I forget to show Jerry respect.  That "I want what I want" attitude rears it's ugly head and my mouth opens without a second thought.  When that happens I guarantee you I am not respecting Jerry at all.  After 37 years together, 35 married, he can read me like a book (sometimes).  

To say I love Jerry is a no brainer!!  To say I respect Jerry is an understatement!!  Is it always easy, breezy?  Heck no!  I am human and still get tempted to run my mouth without thinking, we still go through "the crazy cycle", but now we recognize it and talk and laugh wondering when we will ever learn.  

Life is crazy and I am crazy!  I am unique and different.  I chose to respect my husband.  I thank him for all the hard work he has done over the years to provide a living for us.  I thank him for all the endless hours of service he does to help others.  He is my hero here on Earth! 

Lord, thank you for teaching me how to respect Jerry.  Thank you for being our rock and our refuge.  Help all those who are married, learn to love and respect each other in Jesus name I pray, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...