Thursday, September 11, 2014

HELP US TO NEVER FORGET !!



Isaiah 49:15  "Can a mother forget the infant at her breast, walk away from the baby she bore? But even if mothers forget, I'd never forget you--never." 

13 years ago today is a day I will never forget.  It is one of those days that instantly brings back the memories of where you were, what you were doing and who you were with.  For me, I was at work sitting next to LaDonna.  We were listening to a country music station when the news came on about the first trade tower.  We instantly ran to the lobby and watched as the news flashed across the TV screen.  Then within a moment our lives took a turn we never expected as we watched the second plane head right for the second tower.  Shocked, bewildered, confused and dazed were just a few of the emotions that I experienced.  I couldn't believe it,  It's not possible. Yet with my own eyes and ears we knew it was real.  This was not a hoax.  As most of us sat with our eyes glued to the news for days, we tried to comprehend what had just happened.  The unspeakable and unthinkable happened in New York City.  My heart broke into pieces that day as I watched countless numbers of loved ones searching for their family members who worked in the towers.  My eyes ached from crying.  When my children got off the bus that day,  I remember how tight I held them.  I just wanted to hold them for hours and keep them in my sight for days.  I think everyone was at a loss for words that day.  What could we do to help?  People stood in line to give blood, people sat and dried the tears of those who lost loved ones, and for the first time in many, many years churches around this country and around the world were full.  Searching for peace, searching for comfort and searching for answers.  Why God why?

 I wish I fully understood the why.  We will never know the why until we get to heaven some day. In the Bible it says that God will work everything out for the good.   What good could come out of this?  Thousands of lives lost forever.  Families torn apart, a nation ripped at it's seams.  Tears shed by everyone, and then it happened.  Stores were sold out of flags.  Every home I saw had a flag flying that day.  The flags were all at half mast in honor of those who died.  This nation that usually fights so much amongst itself joined together to support those families.  There were no republicans, no democrats, no tea party, no independent party, no liberals.  There were no religious differences, no petty arguing about meaningless junk.  For the first time in a long time all of were of one mind, one heart and one nation, America.   We were all Americans!  United we stand!  We were knocked down by a fatal blow, but this nation, which was founded on Biblical principles, brushed the dust off our streets, buried our dead, and lifted our heads high and praised God during one of the worst trials this nation had ever endured since Pearl Harbor.  

As I sit here trying to think up what else to say,  I feel a strong sense to say this;  God was there that day.  In the stairwells, in the elevators, in the offices and corridors, He was the arms, hands and feet of the many firefighters and police men that rescued countless people .  Amidst the dust and debris, He was praying and drying the tears of those in pain.  In the middle of it all God was there.  He heard the crying and the screams for help.  He saw the blood and felt the pain.  God stood in the midst of the rubble and cried.  He held the hands of many that day and welcomed them into heaven.  Although there is still the pain of remembering what happened 13 years ago and remembering the lost lives still brings tears to our eyes, God is still amidst the ruins.  He has never forgotten us.  He never will!

May we always remember what happened 13 years ago today.  May comfort and peace overtake all of those who lost loved ones that day.  May we never take for granted this great country you have blessed us with, in Jesus name I pray, amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...