Monday, September 15, 2014

DARKNESS HAS NO POWER OVER ME !!

  

John 8:12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

I can say with total confidence that darkness has no power over me, that is unless I let it have power over me.  I walk in the light of Jesus Christ.  In fact the light of Jesus Christ lives in me through the Holy Spirit.  I know I usually start out these blogs talking about some general topic and slowly work my way into the main crux of the point I'm trying to make, so this is a little different for me.  Yea I know another challenge from God, but this time I will obey!  You see for a while here I have struggled with the darkness that still has a tendency to seep into my soul.   This darkness fills me with doubts and fears about my life and who I am.  This darkness tries to tell me so many lies and unfortunately, being me, I fall victim to the lies and I let the darkness deceive me.  At times like these, every word or action or lack there of, leads me to dumb emotions that overtake the truth.  I am sure I am not the only one this happens to but for me it can be quite disturbing.  My normal cheerful self becomes sort of numb and quiet.  Slowly but surely the darkness tries to invade my very heart and every word spoken by a loved one can bring me to tears.  You see the darkness wants to silence me and make me serious and somber.  But yesterday, at church I was once again reminded that I have the light of Jesus Christ inside me and no darkness can ever have power over me.

These candles were lit by our entire church yesterday.  There were hundreds of them and as I lit my candle yesterday my heart was reignited and the light of Jesus Christ dispelled the darkness I have felt. It's hard for me to explain what has been happening to my Spirit but for a while happiness has seemed to elude me.  Meaningless and harmless words cut through my heart like a knife and my soul ached for something more.  I became lost in the darkness as I searched for the light I thought I had lost.  I let me emotions get the best of me and I was more concerned about my feelings than the truth.  But yesterday as I sat in the presence of my Savior, I was reminded of this verse.  As I sat there  watching the flickering candle lights, my heart began to overflow with light and love.  I felt like myself, well at least I am back on the right path to being myself again.  It simply amazes me that my Savior always bring me the right verse and the right message at the right time.  He has once again brought me to my knees and filled me with love and laughter and joy.  I know there will be more days ahead where the darkness tries to overtake me, it always does this time of year.  The thing is I have the power, I have the light of Jesus Christ living in me and I can always dispel the darkness by letting my light shine.

I am a messed up human being, a cracked pot, a worthless sinner who is being used by Jesus Christ.  If I was perfect and flawless, His light could not shine through me, but because I am cracked, His light shines forth from me.  You see with His light inside of me, I can accomplish great things.  With His light inside of me I can write what I am writing.  He uses my flaws and my cracks to show the world how amazing He is.  I am nothing without His light filling my heart and soul with His love.  I can do nothing of worth without His light piercing the darkness of my soul.  I am totally humbled by His love and forgiveness.  To think that He would fill me with the light of His presence still boggles my mind.  I am not worthy of this light nor am I worthy of His love or forgiveness yet He covers me with His presence anyway.  He has mended all my cracks, yet it is from those cracks that His light shines brightest.  When I am weak, He is strong.  It is not my power that overcomes the darkness, it is His power that dwells in me through His Holy Spirit.  It's not my own light that pierces the darkness of my soul, it is His light.  I deserve nothing of this, He gives it freely!

The darkness that tried to invade me has been eliminated.  Thanks to Pastor John's message the past few weeks and lighting that candle, the Holy Spirit has been reignited and refueled.  If you have never felt this light or the presence of Jesus Christ in your heart and soul I challenge you today to do it!  The light of Jesus Christ, the presence of the Savior is life changing and mood altering.  You don't need a drug to make you high on life, you don't need alcohol to have a good time, you need the light of Jesus Christ!  Yes there will still be times when the darkness will try to invade your heart, but once you have the light of Jesus Christ in your heart, the power of the darkness fades.  I can hear you saying, but it invaded you for a while.  You are right it did, and I allowed it.  The thing is, it only took me a few weeks to dispel the darkness when it used to last for months (just ask Jerry).  Okay listen it's totally up to you, you can continue living the way you do right now, or you can rise to a new level and let the light of Jesus Christ invade your heart.  The choice is yours to make.  I myself will never go back to how I used to be.  Even though I was in church every Sunday, I truly did not ever experience the true light until I verbally accepted Jesus Christ.  Do it today!!  
don't waste another moment!  

Jesus Christ I accept you as my Lord and Savior.  Come into my cracked and messed up life today and fill me with the light of your presence.  Help me to let your light shine so that the darkness will have no power over me in Jesus name I pray, amen!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Someone at my job said, "April, you have such a beautiful smile. You are always smiling, but now you have let them take your smile away. You don't even really smile like you use to." I allowed people on my job to control how I felt! Like you, I refuse to continue to walk in my emotions or allow them to control me. God gave me that smile so why should I allow man to take it away?!? Great blog.

    ReplyDelete

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...