Tuesday, September 16, 2014

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !



Philippines 4:12  I know what it's like not to have what I need. I also know what it's like to have more than I need. I have learned the secret of being content no matter what happens. I am content whether I am well fed or hungry. I am content whether I have more than enough or not enough. 


As I am sitting here this morning I am reminded once again by God that enough is enough.  When will we get that through our thick skulls?  What is enough?  When do we have enough?  Apple just came out with their newest I-Phones.  I wonder how many people will be in line all over the world to get these phones.  We have to have the latest technology.  We have to have the best and the newest.  We have to have the biggest and brightest.  We have to be first in line.  We have to have the most likes on Facebook, we have to be retweeted the most, our posts have to be the most shared, and on and on and on and on and on.  For most of us, this vicious circle will continue until the day we die.  Enough is never enough.  We do not know what it is like to be content.  We want more and more and more.  We want the best looking husband or wife.  We want the best job with the best salary.  We want our life to be simple and  easy.  We want to be thinner, healthier and stronger.  We want to be noticed and we want to be loved by all.  We want and we want and we want but when is enough, enough?  Do we know what it is like to be content?  

I am truthfully sickened by the "wants" of this world.  Trust me I fit into this category so I am not telling you something that I am not telling myself.  It is disgusting when I think of all the money we spend on stupid stuff, like that stuff will really make us happy.  "I know if I have the newest I-Phone, then I will be content."  "I will be content when I get married."  "I will be content when that man gets out of my life."  "I will be content when I have children."  "I will be content when those children are grown and out of this house."  "I will be content when I get that promotion."  "I will be content when I retire."  Do you get what I am trying to say here?  Are we ever content?  This society we live in bombards us with the latest products to make our life simpler.  Infomercials fill our TV screens with the items that will make our everyday, mundane work more efficient and easier.  Cripes we don't even need to go out of our home to get these products.  We can sit in our comfy old couch and order through QVC or the internet, that way we can get it before anyone else.  That makes us content, or does it?  

When I read this verse above I am totally amazed that Paul can write this because at the time he was in prison.  In those days the sewers ran through the prisons,(at least that is what I have heard) think about that.  He was sitting or standing in waste all day yet wrote about his being content.  Are you kidding me?  That is totally insane or at least that is what we would think.  This man who used to kill Christians is honestly trying to tell us that he was content in prison?  Yup!!  We just don't get it.  We just don't understand how someone could say this while they were in prison.  It doesn't make sense.  How could he say he was content?  What does he know that we don't know?  Want to know how he could have been content?  Do you want to learn to be content? Paul learned a very valuable lesson.  Before he met Jesus, Paul had everything.  He was well liked by the Pharisees, he was well paid for killing those who believed in Jesus and I am sure he had a nice home with fancy things but nothing seemed to make him happy.  He was filled with anger and rage.  He hated those Christ followers who appeared to have nothing and yet were so content and happy.  Those Christ followers actually had the nerve to share what they had with others and they were still content and happy.  Then one day Paul met Jesus Christ face to face.  It was after that that Paul learned what true contentment is.  Now are you ready to hear why Paul could say he was content while he was in prison?

Philippines 4:13  I can do everything by the power of Christ. He gives me strength. 

It's not enough to have it all!  It's not enough to have the best or the biggest of anything.   Jesus Christ is enough!  That's it!  That is all I should need to be content.  You see I have learned that when I am content in my relationship with Jesus Christ, when I stop asking and start thanking, He sometimes gives me the desires of my heart, not my head.  Listen  we all would like to have more or at least something better, but until we are grateful for what we have, until we learn to be content with what we have, until we learn to stop asking God for more and become thankful for the blessing we already have, we will continue to struggle with our happiness and contentment.   We have to stop fighting the truth and reality that nothing or no one will ever be able to satisfy us as much as Jesus Christ.  Without Him we will never be content.  He satisfies all my needs and desires.  He fills my soul with love, joy, happiness, health and peace.  People we cannot put a price tag on these things.  Instead of reaching for more or bigger, reach for Jesus!

May we learn to be content and satisfied with what we have and be grateful for the blessings we already have.  May our contentment grow as we dive deeper into a more personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  And may we learn to be content no matter what our circumstances are in life.  Lord, don't change our circumstances, change us.  In Jesus name I pray, amen!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...