Wednesday, August 6, 2014

THESE ARE THE MOMENTS I LIVE FOR!!



1 Timothy 5:8  But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. 

A statement was made by someone I know that literally rocked my world to it's very core.  The statement was this: "A storm with thunder and lightning in the great Pyrenees' Mountains.  These are the moments I live for."  Sounds like a cool statement, in fact it's probably one I would make.  But the timing if this statement was not good.  You see this person's brand new grandchild was at the time lying in NICU unit of University of Michigan Hospital.  At times like that there is no way in hell I would ever make a comment like that, especially on Facebook where my child would see it.  Listen I know we all have different priorities and I don't really want to judge but I just have a very hard time understanding the timing of this statement.  For all of those who know me know that my Facebook page would have been full of "Please pray for my grandchild...."  It saddens me when I think of this.    What saddens me more was the look on the daughters face when she said she hadn't even heard from her parent.  To have time to watch a storm over a mountain range and post it on Facebook but not give your child a call at quite possibly the worst time in her life has left me dumbfounded.  I don't think some of us parents realize what we are doing to our children and our grandchildren.  My children and I hope my grandchildren know how important they are to me.  They give light to my world and sparkle to my day.  I may not see them or talk to them every day, but they are always in my heart and on my mind.  I pray for them every day and I try my best to always be there for them.  

I figure it this way;  God blessed Jerry and I with 4 awesome children and 3 wonderful son-in-laws and 4 terrific grandchildren.  When our children lived at home we provided for them financially. It was part of our responsibility, but there is more to being a parent then handing out money.  As a parent we need to also love our children.  We need to be there for them emotionally and listen to them in good times and in bad.  We need to help them grow in to fantastic adults so that they can raise their own children with love.  Money does not buy happiness, even in children.  We can throw our money around all day long and it won't help when a child just needs a hug, a shoulder to cry on and an ear to listen.  Going to the school plays and going to watch them play sports is all a part of being a parent.  Cleaning up the mess from a sick child, putting a cold towel on the head of a child that has a fever, tells them fairy tales and coloring with them, that is a part of being a parent.    A parent needs often come last and you know what?  That's okay.  There are so many different ways that parents provide for their children, it's not just financially. There are times when we are all together that it is a little noisy, a little confusing and a little chaotic but I wouldn't change a thing because these are the moments I live for!  Being with my family.

Divorce and separations can divide families but not the responsibility of being a parent.  A true parent who provides for their families in every way, not just financially.  God makes it pretty clear in the Bible when He stated that anyone who does not provide for his family has denied his faith and is worse than an unbeliever.  Ouch!!  There are to many couples who are longing for children yet cannot have them.  There are to many couples who place themselves first in front of their children.  There are too many children who go to sleep crying at night because mommy or daddy isn't there for them.  God is drying the tears of those children and keeping track of them I believe.   Listen I don't mean to be on my soap box here and trying to make people feel guilty but we need to wake up and realize the damage we are causing our children.   We are supposed to love our children the way our heavenly Father loves us, so are we doing in that area of our life?  

Listen we can either be a negative influence on our children or a positive one.  Instead of discussing your child's behavior with them in front of the church, do it later on behind closed doors.  Instead of concentrating on growing your business, concentrate on getting to know your children.  We spend way too much time telling our children everything they are doing wrong and not enough time telling them how proud we are of them and how much we love them.  We need to show them the love and respect we expect them to give to us.  We need to make time to listen to them, no matter how busy we are.  Shut off the TV, turn off the computer, and sit down and talk with our children.  Be there for them in good times and bad and for once put them first.  Rant over!!  Thanks for listening.

May we learn to embrace the love of God and share that with our children.  May we stop putting ourselves first and turn our attention to our children.  May we raise our children to become loving adults who put others first, in Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...