Wednesday, August 13, 2014

DOES YOUR BIBLE LOOK LIKE THIS?



2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 

Well, does it?  I know some of you out there are going, "Oh my goodness!  No!!  The Bible is a Holy book meant to have a special place ob my book shelf.  This is just wrong!!"  Come on admit it, some of you think this is close to blasphemy to highlight a Bible and write in it like this, right?  I used to think that way, then I actually began reading the Bible and studying it.  The amazing think I learned was that it's not the book itself that is Holy, it's God's Word that is Holy.  So many of us look at the Bible like some sacred book to be displayed on a shelf or have a prominent place on a table to be displayed so that all who enter our home can see how we cherish our Bible.  To deface our Bible in this way would be considered a sin.  Seriously?  The scriptures contained in my Bible is Holy and sacred to me.  It is meant for me to read and comprehend.  It's there for me to instruct me and teach me in the ways of God.  If don't read it or study it, how am I ever going to be able to know who God is or how He wants me to act?  Oh I know a priest or pastor will tell me what God says, right?  Well God's word also says we are suppose to discern the right or wrong teachings of or priest or pastor by His Holy Word, so how can I do that if I don't read it or study it?  I can't!

Okay let me be honest here, I was taught that I was to much of a sinner to be able to read the Bible and understand it.  I had to be taught by a priest or a nun who was instructed in the ways of the Bible.  My simple mind could not comprehend the words of God and the meaning behind them.  I believed this for way too many years!  I trusted that what they were teaching and that what they were saying was true.   So instead of reading the Bible I read mystery novels and fiction stories.  The thing was, I always wanted to know what was in the Bible.  What was so deep in the Bible that I can't understand it?  I was confused but truthfully never bothered to investigate it, after all if you question the teachings of the church, be prepared to be sent to hell.  At least that is what I thought and believed.  Then one day I walked into a non-denominational church and for the first time in my life, I was told that i could read the Bible.  In fact they actually wanted everyone to rad the Bible and encouraged it.  I looked around and noticed other people's Bibles were highlighted and even written in.  That just looked wrong to me until I saw the pastor's Bible.  His looked just like the one in the picture.  I was shocked.  In late December they began to challenge people to read the Bible in a year.  They had a diagram to do it and as a church we were going to do it together.  Seriously? 

For the first time in my life I read the whole Bible!  From front to back I read the whole thing.  Oh sure I skipped over the "Begots" but I read it.  Guess what?  I understood it too!!  I was so excited!  I couldn't believe that I had been missing out on reading this book.  There was so much more in there that I never heard about.  I was amazed when I read the book of Exodus.  I came running out of our bedroom and told Jerry, "There is so much more to the story of the Israelites and Egypt that wasn't in 'The Ten Commandments" movie. There were many more plaques that never talked about in the movie.  They never talked too much about all the mumbling and complaining the Israelites did.  I had heard the story of Joseph and his coat his father gave him, but to read it all, was amazing.  I could actually picture the story unfolding before my very eyes.  I actually remember the part when I came to the exact dimensions and measurements God gave the Israelites for building the Arc of the Covenant.  I looked up to heaven and said, "Really God?  Why do I need to know this?  This is so boring!"  You see the description seemed go on for many, many chapters.  Then I heard that still, small voice whisper to me, "If I was that particular in building an Arc, how picky was I in creating you?"  Wow!!  I was totally blown away.   For so many years, I listened to stories and teachings that the church picked out for me.  I was missing out on  "The rest of the story".  

The Bible is a very special book that God gave us to read and study.   It was never meant to sit on a shelf and collect dust.  It was never meant to only be read by biblical scholars and theologians.  It was for us.  Some of you may not believe that the Bible is the word of God.  "It has human authors."  Well to me it is what God says it is, the inspired word of God given to us and written by men God hand picked to write His words down.  God is the author of the Bible and He wants me to read it!!  He wants you to read it too!!  So blow the dust off that Bible, pick it up and read it!  Each page is an adventure, a lesson to be learned and a mystery to solve.  If you have a question, the Bible has the answer.  It may not be the answer you were hoping for, but it does contain the best answer for you.  I have heard parents say they wish kids came with an instruction manual, they do, the Bible!  I have heard husbands complain about their wives (and vise versa).  What do I do to make her happy?  Read the Bible!  The answers are in there.  What is written in the Bible over 2,000 years ago, still pertains to today.  It is not some outdated book, it is still relevant today.  Read it!  Study it!

May the Word of God invade your heart, your mind, your words and your life today and everyday.  May His words echo in your life and transform you.  May you breathe in every scripture and learn to live to way God wants you to live, in Jesus name I pray, amen.

3 comments:

  1. Mine is highlighted but not written in other then the inscription from my parents on the day I received it. I do however have papers that are through out it with writing on them, the one card that I took from my father's bible before it was put in the coffin with him. It was a Birthday Card I made for him in 4th grade and he carried it around in his tattered bible until the day he died. I also have a wooden heart with a poem that my mother had and passed on to me before she too died that she had carried with her in her bible. My parents Bibles were well worn with love and many times of reading and studying the word. Sadly I do not study the bible as much as they did, but my faith in god and the love I feel from him everyday is just as strong. I am very blessed to have Jesus in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My spiritual food is God's Word and I feast on it daily: what things were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. Now the God of patience..... Rom. 15:5

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read KJV on my kindle and listen to the holy scriptures on GoBible KJV. God bless you

    ReplyDelete

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...