Monday, May 31, 2021

AN AMERICAN SOLDIER


 On this Memorial Day I could not allow this day to pass without putting my thoughts down in writing.  My dad served in the Navy.  My father-in-law served in the army.  I had an uncle wo was a marine and I one nephew who served and another one who is serving now.  I am very grateful for those who came home safely.  As for my nephew who is in the army right now, I pray for his safe return.  I am very thankful for every military veteran who fought for my freedom.  Saying "Thank you" just doesn't seem like enough. I am speechless when I think about the sacrifice they made to keep America safe.  I stand in awe at the price many of them paid so that I can sit here in my comfortable home and type this now.  

Yet, there is another group that I cannot thank.  There is a group of soldiers that never returned home to their loved ones.  There are wives and husbands, moms and dads, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, neighbors and friends who are spending this day remembering their loved ones who died for my freedom.  There is an empty spot at the picnic table, an empty chair at the dinner table, a empty space in someone's heart.  

This flag still stands for freedom!  Blood was shed so that this flag can still fly over my home today.  Blood was shed so that we can voice our opinions and our beliefs without fear.  Blood was shed so that we Americans can be free.  When I see this flag and when I really stop to think about what Memorial Day means to me, I picture a widow with her young children standing beside a grave clutching the American flag as they lower her husbands body into the ground.  I can see the tears streaming down her face, I can hear the cries form deep within her soul.  You know, that gut wrenching cry that comes from a pain deeper than I could ever imagine.  

An American Soldier is strong, brave and courageous. They sacrifice everything, including their lives so that you and I can be free.  Never underestimate the power of the American Soldier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...