Monday, July 26, 2021

RECONNECTING WITH AN OLD MENTOR


 
Jerry was recently able to reconnect with an teacher he had back in first and second grade.   This teacher changed the way he experienced school.  She had a big influence on him and it was awesome to see them together again.  She has always thought about him and I truly believe she prayed for him every day. The smile on their faces and the laughter was priceless.  In fact at 85 years of age, this lady was so excited to see Jerry I think she sprinted out the door. It had been over 50 years since they had seen each other but I could tell their love, admiration and respect for each other was mutual. She was a tremendous influence on him and I see why.  Sr. Angela Therese is an amazing woman of God.  The sparkle in her eyes, the tone of her voice when she speaks about God impressed me so much.  Se loves life, she loves her profession and above that....she loves Jesus.

I could see the tears in Jerry's eyes and I heard the excitement in his voice when he planned to get together with Sr. Angela.  I wasn't going to go because I felt it was a precious time for him to be alone with her, but he insisted that he wanted to share this time with me.  I am so grateful I went.  We spent over 3 hours together talking and reminiscing.  We shared photos and stories and treasured memories.   This time we shared was priceless.  I learned a lot from this wonderful lady.  She truly embraced the love of Jesus Christ and lived it out.  She got to meet Mother Theresa many years ago, there is a photograph of her with Mother Theresa, a treasure that she cherishes to this day.  She is an artist and an awesome baker.  I cannot wait to get together with her again.

She may have influenced Jerry in school but she is influencing me now.  The thing I love about her is she had nothing negative to say about anyone or anything. In those 3 hours I never heard any gossip, no anger, no disgust, not one word of complaint.  She praised God, she spoke with love and compassion, she hugged like no other nun ever hugged me before.   She always had a smile on her face, laughter poured out of her mouth constantly.  It was refreshing to experience.  I had some nuns as teachers growing up but this lady is different.  She has a special quality that brings me so much joy just thinking about her.  She loves Jesus and she lives for Jesus.  

Her face, her smile, her laughter spoke more about Jesus than if she had quoted any memorized Bible verses.  Her life speaks more about Jesus than anyone I ever met before.  Her eyes twinkled with a love and acceptance that definitely reminds me of Jesus.  I'm actually sitting here fighting back the tears as I write this because Sr. Angela Therese is Jesus with skin on.  I truly feel like I got a true glimpse of what it would be like to sit down with Jesus at a dinner table for 3 hours and just talk.  Sr. Angela Therese we will get together soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...