Monday, July 6, 2015

GOD GIVE ME A SIGN, ARE YOU REAL?







Genesis 9:13  I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 


I know it's been a few weeks since I last wrote but truthfully I needed to collect my thoughts and determine how to write about what I experienced at Young Life Camp.  

Over 500 high school students spent 6 days hearing about the love of Jesus Christ.  The impact of these days was powerful for many.  The days were filled with fun and laughter as the students were disconnected with the outside world for those 6 days.  No cell phones, no TV's, no radios, no computers, no stress, no peer pressure, no Facebook, no Instagram, kids went off the grid for possibly the first time in their lives.  

Skits played out by volunteers with a story and a purpose.  Volunteers cooked, cleaned and cared for the kids. They had a chance to go tubing, to go zip lining, to bounce off the blob, to ride a very high swing, to do a ropes course, to ride go carts and play some rather hysterical and messy games all in the hopes of being a kid again.  It didn't matter how they dressed or what brand of clothing they wore.  It didn't matter whether their hair was styled or if they looked amazing.  They were there to relax and have fun.  Oh and they were there to experience the love of Jesus Christ. 

Many of these kids have never stepped foot in a church, let alone read a Bible.  To some Jesus was more of a religion than a relationship.  But for 6 days, the volunteers became Jesus Christ by just loving these kids and listening to them and answering their questions.  They poured their hearts and souls into making sure these kids felt loved.  

As I looked across the room filled with teenagers, I saw something that probably doesn't happen in the high schools.  Jocks and nerds, geeks and pot heads (okay I'm aging myself with these names but bear with me) cheerleaders and outcasts, ugly ducklings and homecoming queens together.  Side by side these teens worked together to win games, to finish a race or just sing a cool song.  There were no social or economic differences at this camp, these teens became friends and loved each other.

As I listened to the message of Jesus Christ I sat and watched their faces and heard the stories of suicidal teens, teens who never felt they were good enough, teens who never felt loved or accepted, teens who just wanted to be told they're okay.  Tears poured and sobs echoed as they came to grasp with the truth of Jesus Christ.  

Teens struggled with the truth, a truth many had never heard and if they had they didn't feel worthy to accept this simple truth.  

On the 5th night of camp the speaker sent the teens out to spend 15-20 minutes talking with God alone.  No friends, no buddies, no talking amongst themselves.  Time spent with God privately whether talking or listening.  (Pause)

Now before I go any further let me just say, the weather this day was perfect.  No rain, a few clouds and a nice breeze, but no rain, no storms anywhere around us.  

(Play)  A young girl who was struggling whether or not the speaker was telling the truth said a simple question, "God give me a sign.  Are you real?"

Seconds, I mean seconds, later this picture was taken by one of the staff members.  The rainbow was an answer to that young girls question.  The rainbow stopped in that cloud and was just above the camp only.  

Coincidence, I think not!  Everyone who saw this was in tears, yes even us adults.  The speaker was blown away by this as were all the staff.  

For me personally, this was a sign that God is always listening, always available, always loving. As tears poured down my cheeks, I prayed that the Holy Spirit would invade each teenagers life as they talked with God.  165 teenagers gave their life to Jesus Christ that day.  How amazing is our God?

If any of you would like more information on Young Life, please message me.  This organization has changed the eternities of many teenagers and adults also.  

May God continue to give us rainbows to remind us of His covenant with us. May His love surround us and overtake us.  May we share His love and forgiveness with everyone we meet in Jesus name I pray, amen. 

2 comments:

  1. Love it! My pastor says "God will move heaven and earth to show you His will." I think this story and picture is proof that He will do exactly that! Great story! I hope that young girl will come to faith in Christ and never forget how God answered her prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. You're clearly doing great work with those kids - hope you get many chances to continue it!

    ReplyDelete

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...