Monday, May 11, 2015

WHO ARE WE TRYING TO FOOL?





1 John 1:8-9  If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth.  But if we confess our sins to Him, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. 


Now let's get real here.  How many of us have thought so highly of ourselves to think we have not sinned?  Okay how many of us have thought so highly of ourselves to think we have not sinned for at least today?  Come on now be honest.  

I can actually remember as a kid ( I was in forth grade) going into the confessional booth and running through my memories to make a list of the sins I may have committed.  Then I would try to remember the 10 Commandments.  "Let's see I treated God okay, I didn't bow down to any golden idols (at least I didn't think I did).  I went to church Sunday (does Saturday night count?),  I don't remember using God's name in vain (not that I would ever admit I did).  I kissed my mom and dad good night (that's honoring them right?).   I know I didn't kill anyone, except that stupid mosquito.  What's adultery anyway?  Whatever it is I don't think I did it.  I know I didn't steal anything.  Lie? Well do those little white lies count?  You know the ones where you tell someone they look nice when I don't think they do?  Na, I don't think those count.  I don't covet anything and besides why would I want some guys wife or his servants?  Who has servants anyway?"  

At 10 years of age, I felt like I had not committed any sin worthy of going to sit in front of a priest and confess how naughty I was.   It seemed absurd to randomly read off the list in my brain of all the wrongs I had done.  I had no idea that hate was as good as murder.  I had no idea gossip was just as bad as lying.   I had no idea that getting angry was wrong.  As a kid I felt I was pretty good and in no need of confessing anything.

How many of us adults still live this way?  I know people who claim to believe in Jesus Christ yet they lie and cheat and steal.  I know people who go to church every Sunday yet use God's name in vain.  We all know people like this and worse.  They claim they said the prayer of salvation, yet they do not change their ways.  They blame someone else for they way they act, they blame God for what they do, they point their finger at everyone else, all the while they have 4 fingers pointing back at them.

Let's decide to get honest and shine a light on the sins we have all committed.  If you cheated on your spouse, don't blame your spouse!  Admit you sinned, take responsibility and confess it.  If you hate someone, even if you feel you have a legitimate reason, admit it!  Confess it!   If you have gossiped and fabricated stories about someone else, because of your jealousy, admit it!  Confess it!    If you have disobeyed you parents and told them where to go, admit it!  Confess it!  

Listen we are all human and we all sin!  There is no perfect person in this world, we all fall short and we all sin!  If you think you are perfect, you are fooling yourself!  Admit it, repeat after me "I AM A SINNER!"  I don't make mistakes, I don't goof up, I'm not a screw up.  I am a sinner in need of a Savior!

Let go of your pride and your ego!  Admit the truth about who you are. Take a good long look in the mirror and get real!  Stop taking a survey of everyone else's sins and concentrate on yours.  To be honest, God already knows our sins, He really doesn't need to hear them, He's watched you, He's heard you and He's read your mind.  So get over yourself.  He wants to hear us confess our sins so that we can deal with the reality of our sins and change our ways.  He's already forgiven us, but we need to confess the truth so we learn.   He knows it's hard for us to be honest with ourselves about who we really are, so this confession helps us heal and forgive ourselves.  

Let God shine a light on our sins, so that we can learn and grow and change into the image of God.  

Lord, forgive me for the pride and selfishness that hides my sins from myself.  Forgive me for letting my ego take over and not you.  Help me to learn and grow and change so that day by day I become more like you and less like me.  In Jesus name I pray, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...