Wednesday, May 6, 2015

HOW DOES A MOTHER SAY GOODBYE TO HER CHILD?




I know this is late today but I had to run to the office this morning to greet a dear friend of ours who buried her daughter while we were gone.  I know you will understand why God had me wait to do this.  You see about a week ago I read something by Lysa Terkeurst titled "Unsettle me Lord".  This small devotion inspired me to pray, "Unsettle me Lord."  Be careful what you pray for!  But to be honest I am so glad I did pray that simple prayer because I have been unsettled.  Let me explain.  

Today like I said, I was finally able to get together with Sharon.  Sharon is the mother of Stefanie.  Stefanie was born with spina bifida.  She could never walk or run, she never danced or walked on a sandy beach.  She could never do the typical things kids did.  When she was born, doctors gave her a year, but they never told Sharon that, and that;s a great thing because Stefanie lived to be 32 years old.  

This young lady, although physically handicapped, graduated from high school with her friends.  That's right Stefanie went to a normal public school and had tons and tons of friends.  You may ask how she had so many friends?  She was always happy.  She always had a smile on her face and her eyes twinkled with love for everyone.  She said "hi" to everyone she met and she laughed with a laugh that was contagious.  Because of her physical problems, she needed therapy so her and her mom started hand making some of the most beautiful 3D cards I have ever seen.  Stefanie would color and design the cards and she sold them.  

Around holidays and special occasions Stefanie and her mom would come into the office to sell their cards.  Her bubbly personality brightened everyone's day.  Now mind you this young lady had more surgeries in her lifetime than any of us could ever imagine in our worst nightmare.  Her parents dealt with so many medical procedures and trips to the doctor and hospitals.  Through all of this Stefanie was joyful.  She even helped her mother get through her own medical crisis.  \To say Stefanie inspired me, would be an underestimation.  This young lady was amazing and priceless.  

Sharon was by Stefanie's side most of her life.  She did so much with Stefanie and she did so much for Stefanie, so how does a mother say goodbye to her child?  I don't know!  My heart just breaks in two when I even think of the thought of losing one of my children.  Sharon is still mourning her child, but she has also celebrated Stefanie's life.  Her funeral wasn't a normal funeral, it was a celebration.  Stefanie loved Jesus Christ.  Stefanie talked with God on a regular basis.  Stefanie loved Christian music.  Stefanie loved \life. Psalm 91 was Stefanie's favorite Bible reading.  She read it with her parents every night before they prayed together.  

Psalm 91:1  Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 

Sharon had the privilege of raising one of God's angels, her on earth.  Stefanie was a gift from God.  Sharon lived with this precious gift for 32 years and for 32 years she has stored so many treasures and memories of this angel.   What a blessing Stefanie has been to so very many people.  The register at the funeral home listed over 900 people.  Her funeral service was filled to overflow.  The pastor encouraged people to come up and say a few words about Stefanie.  Finally the pastor had to stop because it soon became a 2 hour service.  Wow!  This young lady who lived her life in a wheelchair, touched so many lives with her love for Jesus Christ.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, when Stefanie got to heaven, God said "Well done Stefanie!"

 While Sharon is sad because she misses her side kick, she is also rejoicing because now Stefanie is running the beaches of heaven with Jesus.  She is dancing and walking and praising Jesus without having any more physical limitations.  Stefanie is now healed.   

If Sharon could say one thing to all parents out there right now she would say "Don't take your children for granted.  Take each and every moment you can with them and hug them tight.  Tell them how much you love them and then tell them about the love of their Savior, Jesus Christ."

Lord, help us parents refuse to waste one moment of time with our children.  Give us patience and peace is dealing with them.  Thank you for allowing Stefanie to be an example of you on this earth.  In Jesus name I pray, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...