Friday, May 8, 2015

MOTHERS






Proverbs 23:25  May your father and mother rejoice; may she who gave you birth be joyful! 


As I sit here contemplating this blog today I think back to a few months ago when I spent 6 weeks with my mom, living in her home and sharing memories with her.  At 84 years of age, my mom still gets around pretty good.   She drives, she cooks and cleans, she goes to church every Sunday, she has a variety of friends out in Arizona that she does things with and she loves to watch old movies and reruns of Lawrence Welk.  When I was growing up, I always looked up to my mom.  Literally and figuratively.  She was a devoted wife to my dad and took care of him until the day he died 11 years ago.  She sacrificed, scrimped and saved to give us kids a private school education.  When my dad got laid off, she went out and got a job to support the family.  When my dad wanted to move out to Arizona, she was right there beside him.  

My mom wasn't perfect, no mom is.  But it's because of her that I have the strong faith I have.  I saw her go through so many storms and trials in life, yet she never gave up on God.  I saw her cry pools of tears when my brother ran away from home, yet she never gave up on God.  I saw her raise 3 children who challenged her (especially me), yet she never gave up on God.  I saw her get on her knees and pray every night.  I don't think she knows that I used to watch her pray. Every Sunday we would get dressed up in our Sunday best and head off to church.  Her faith inspired me.  Her devoted love to my dad taught me.  Her love warms my heart.

As I sit here now in my own home, I pray I have been half the mom my mother has been.  I never thought I wanted to be a mom after watching my sister with her 2 children (sorry Tonya and Shane).  But being a mom to 4 of the greatest children in the world (yes I am prejudice) has been the greatest blessing to me.  Holding my babies in my arms for the first time made me feel a love I never thought possible.  Watching them grow into adults has been an amazing journey that has brought me many tears of joy. 

The skinned knees, the broken bones, the stitches, the bruises, the tears, the wrecked cars, the broken hearts all led to the amazing people my children are today.   Through bats and balls, trumpets and marching band I have watched God mold my children into wonderful human beings.  My children have made my life complete.   Their love for each other, their respect for each other, their bond will never be broken.  My children are a part of me figuratively and they are a part of each other.  When we are all together, our family is complete and so is my heart. 

I am not a perfect mom.  I screwed up many times and made numerous mistakes.  I did the best I could with the knowledge I had.  I've apologize when needed and I forgave when needed.  I've mended broken hearts and broken bodies.  I pray that I have given my children the gift of eternity.  That to me is the greatest gift I can give my children, Jesus Christ.  Because without His love and guidance I wouldn't have been the parent I have been.  Being a mother is not an easy job, but with Jesus Christ by my side, the load is lighter.  

Lord, thank you so much for the gift of my mother.  Thank you for all her hard work and her love for you.  Please continue to work in me to be the best mom I can be to my children.  In Jesus name I pray, amen!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...