Friday, May 15, 2015

COME AND REST A WHILE




Matthew 11:28 (The Message) "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. 


As I walk along the shoreline, I see a park bench with a note that reads "come and rest a while."  It appears strange to see a note like that on a park bench.  It has to be a trick.  Surely there is someone waiting around in the bushes to do my harm.  Someone's up to something and my mind fills with thoughts of doubt and fear.  Never before I ever seen a note like this before.  While it's intriguing, it is also frightening.  Instead of sitting,  I continue on down the beach.  Sunset is fast approaching so I want to see it from a good vantage point (you know how I love sunsets).

Around the bend I notice another park bench with the same note.  What is going on here?  There are people all over this beach, am I the only one who sees this sign?  Why is no one else sitting on these benches?  I know, where's the camera?  Am I on Candid Camera or am I being punked?  I look around, I see nothing.  No one seems to notice these strange signs, but I remain very suspicious so I continue on.  

A few hundred feet ahead of me I see another park bench.  This bench has the perfect vantage point.  I can see the sunset perfectly and I looks like it will be breathtaking, but I notice an older gentleman sitting there.  He notices me and calls me over.  "There is enough room for both of us on this bench, come on over.  I don't bite, promise."  

As I wander over to the bench, I look around to see if there is a sign like the last 2 benches had.  Nothing.  The gentleman asks me, "what are you looking for?"  I told him about the signs on the other 2 benches.  I told him about how those signs caused me to be fearful and full of doubt.  

"Why would someone put a sign on those benches unless they were trying to get something from me?  It was just very strange and set an alarm off in my mind, but I don't see a sign here, just you.  So I think I will sit down if that's okay with you?"  I said.

"You know I've been trying to get your attention for this entire walk.  I placed those signs on those benches, hoping you would come and rest for a while with me." the gentleman said.

"But I didn't see you, only the signs.  And besides, who are you?  Why would you want me to come and rest a while with you?  What do you want from me?" I began to grow concerned and was ready to flee the scene, but then something caught me eye.  His hands had enormous scars on them and his feet also had scars.  My mind began to race with explanations and my mouth became dry.  I couldn't speak, I couldn't move, I just stood there staring at his hands and feet.  

"My dear, you have been struggling for so long.  I have heard your cries and I have seen your tears.  I know how much pain you are in.  I am here to tell you to let go.  Stop trying to be so brave.  Stop trying to handle this all alone.  I am here for you.  I have been trying to get your attention, but fear and doubt kept you from me.  Look at my hands and my feet.  Do you think I would ever let you go through this alone?  I died for you.  I was tortured for you.  You are not alone.  I am with you always, even during the struggles.  Now, will you let go and let me handle your struggles?"

With tears running down my face, I fall down at His feet and cry like I have never cried before.  Every tear, every twinge of pain, every bit of stress left as I raised my hands and said, "Here I am Lord,  take me as I am.  Take my struggles, take my pain, take my fears.  I give up!  I surrender to myself to you."  

With that I felt a kiss on my head and heard, "I love you!"  I stood up and He was gone.  I looked out at the sunset and saw the most glorious, breathtaking sunset I had ever seen and I knew I had just been in the presence of my Savior, Jesus Christ.  

  My friends, Jesus has been trying to get your attention for a long time.  Please take a moment and "come and rest a while" in His presence.

My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I come today to sit in your presence and bask in the glory of your love.  Fill me with your love and your peace.  Take my burdens, take my stress and replace them with the joy and peace you died to give me in Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...