Wednesday, May 13, 2015

WHAT YOU SAY IS WHAT YOU ARE !!!






Oh how I remember that saying.  When I was teased as a kid, this sayong brought me much comfort and a sort of "take that" saying that made me feel better about myself.   It gave me a sense of power that I could stand up against a bully and sort of put them in their place.  At the time I thought it was just a simple saying, but later on I realized this quirky little saying was oh so true.  I don't think people understand how true this saying is, even now days.

"What you say is what you are!"  So what are your words saying about you?  As you sit at a table finger pointing and gossiping about someone else, to me that says you are very insecure and need to tear someone else down in order to feel better about you really are.  As you sit there and whisper lies about someone else, it tells me that you have no real confidence in yourself.  As you sit there and call someone else derogatory names, I realize you a miserable human being who probably literally hates herself (or himself).  

People who are unhappy with themselves are usually the worse offenders.  In order to make themselves appear popular, they mock others, they tease or torment others, they point fingers and whisper half truths.  People who are unhappy with themselves are often bullies.   Some people think people who are unhappy with themselves are depressed.  I beg to differ.  People who are depressed have often been the victim of the bullies.  Words hurt!  Words can destroy peoples lives!  Words can kill!  

 I am sorry if some of these statements hurt.  But if what we say is what we are, what are your words saying about you?   Are you building people up or tearing them down?  Are you loving people are hurting people?  Our words have consequences.  For way too long we have thought differently and allowed our words to come out of our mouth without a second thought.  We speak our minds and don't care who it hurts.  The reality is it really hurts no one but us.

Matthew 12:36-37  "I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

OUCH!!!!  That one hurts.  You know I read the Bible a couple times and I totally missed this verse.  passed right by it without even thinking.  "Life and death are in the power of the tongue"  is another verse that sings out the truth of our words, but this verse hit me right between the eyes.  

Words spoken in anger, words spoken in haste, words spoken in frustration, words spoken in hatred, words spoken carelessly have an effect on others lives but also our own lives.  If I had to eat every word I ever spoke, it wouldn't taste very good, in fact to be honest some of my words would be poison.   Oh sure most would be sweet but some of the words I have spoken in haste without thinking of the consequences would just leave an awful taste in my mouth.  

What you say is what you are, think about that next time you go to open your mouth in anger or frustration.  What are your words saying about you?  Look in the mirror and see the truth.  Then change your words and they will change your life.  I will do the same!  

Lord, forgive me for the words I have spoken in anger or haste.  Forgive me for the words that have hurt others.  Help me use my words to speak life and your love to everyone I speak with in Jesus name I pray, amen!

1 comment:

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...