Wednesday, January 28, 2015

EAT, DRINK AND BE MERRY!!





Oh how we all enjoy dessert!  Last weekend Jerry and I were on a cruise and of course besides the fantastic scenery on a cruise the next thing that is talked about is the food!  All the food you want!  All the dessert you want!  Any time of day or night food is available.  It is amazing to see all of this food.   Right now the thought of all that food makes me sick.  I am not one to eat a big breakfast, yet I did on this cruise.  Then I ate a big lunch and I won't even begin to describe dinner and the variety of desserts.  I ate way too much and way too much sugar and carbs.  

As I got off the ship Monday morning I looked at Jerry and said, "if I don't eat for 3 days, that would be fine."  Finally I am back to eating normal, at least for me.  I feel so much better, so much lighter and so much more alive.  Why did I feel like I had to stuff myself?  Why did I eat like that?  O guess it was because well, I paid for it I might as well get my money's worth, right?  Trust me I did get my money's worth.  

The thing that bothered me the most about my eating habits on this cruise, is that I do not eat like that and to use the excuse of getting my money's worth is stupid.  I want to eat healthy and be healthy yet I didn't.  I succumbed to the pressure of the food in front of my face.  I choose the wrong path.  I choose to fill my belly and in some instances over fill my belly.  God brought me to this verse this morning and I truly related to it.

Philippians 3:18-19 (MSG)  There are many out there taking other paths, choosing other goals, and trying to get you to go along with them.  I've warned you of them many times; sadly, I'm having to do it again. All they want is easy street. They hate Christ's Cross.  But easy street is a dead-end street. Those who live there make their bellies their gods; belches are their praise; all they can think of is their appetites. 

Philippians 3:18-19 (ESV)  For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. 

I talked yesterday about my goal for this year and when God brought me to this verse I realized that while on my cruise, I got off track.  I didn't read my Bible, I didn't study the Holy Spirit and I didn't read the books I bought about the Holy Spirit.  While on the cruise I was on easy street, so to speak.  I never will ever hate Christ's cross, for without His cross I would be destitute and empty, but I did lose focus of the ultimate goal of time spent with Jesus.  

My appetite was for food even though I wasn't truly physically hungry.  Today I have been warned that I have no idea what true physical hunger feels like, but I do know what spiritual hunger is for I am hungry for more of Jesus.  I long for my spirit to be refilled an recharged with more of Jesus.  

My goal of truly knowing more about the power of the Holy Spirit will not be without challenges or temptations but as long as I maintain my focus, I can trust in God.  Alone I cannot do this, by myself I am powerless against the temptation of easy street.  Only with God on my side and Jesus at my right hand and the power of the Holy Spirit that dwells within me can I ever accomplish what I long to.  

Listen, easy street is so very tempting.  The hunger in our bellies can be so overwhelming that we lose focus of the spiritual hunger we truly need to focus on.  So join me in talking the road less traveled.  Join me in filling our spiritual hunger first.  Join me in loving and accepting Christ's cross.

Lord please forgive me for allowing myself to be tempted to step off the path you have for me.  Please help me to tap into the power you have given me through your Holy Spirit so that I can withstand any and all temptations, in Jesus name I pray, amen.

1 comment:

  1. I think what you are saying here can be summed up in one word - distraction. when we get distracted by things "in front of our face" we get sidetracked. singlemindedness in our pursuit of Christ will help us turn aside from lesser things to find the full satisfaction that we really desire. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...