Monday, January 5, 2015

2015 TIME FOR A CHANGE




As 2015 begins my thoughts have been racing with what I want to accomplish, what I want to do to better myself and what I want to change.  Yesterday my thoughts were answered by the message at church.  Die!  No physically but die to myself and my sinful ways.  I know this sounds totally weird for those of you out there who are not true believers but this message was life changing for me.  I want this year to be the year I die to my selfish ways.  

This world is amazing yet so sad.  When I look around and see all the turmoil and selfishness that is rampant in this world, it sickens me.  So many of us seem to be so concerned about "what's in it for me", that we lose focus on what's truly important.  So many of us are so wrapped up in being "politically correct" that we change our words and our actions just to make sure we don't offend someone.  So many of us are lost in a sea of me.  The "me" generation has ruined this world!  Strong words?  Yup!  Trust me this is as much for me as you.

For way too long I have sat back afraid to put a voice behind the words God has given me.  For way too long I have sat back and watched friends and family members, who profess to be saved, gossip and talk bad about others.  For way too long I have sat back not wanting to offend anyone, especially fellow believers.  The reason I have done this, I feel, is because I was ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  How sad!  

Mark 8:38  "For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."

"Adulterous and sinful generation" may seem a little strong, but look around you today at this world.  This was written 2,000 years ago, yet it is so true of today's society.   Whether you are a believer or not, these words describe today's society to a tee!   It saddens me to watch the news.  Actually it sickens me.  Selfishness is overtaken this world and it can overtake our hearts and our lives if we let it.  For some of us, it already has.  Churches are full of selfish people.  Pews are lined with people who profess one thing in church, yet another thing once they are outside the doors of the church.   

Listen I will never be perfect and I will stumble as fall as I go through this process of dying to self, but I will never again, at least I hope and pray, be ashamed of Jesus Christ and His words.  You may ask how I was ashamed?  Well in my simple mind I was ashamed of Jesus Christ when I was not able to stand up for my beliefs.  In the midst of opposition I would fold up my cards and walk away, instead of standing my ground.  I feared being rejected or made fun of so I buckled under pressure. I was afraid I wouldn't know the proper response to someone who questioned my faith, so I kept quiet. Really? 

Jesus Christ was not ashamed of me when He died on the cross, shedding His very blood for me!  Jesus Christ was not ashamed of me when I came to Him admitting I was a sinner.   Jesus Christ was not ashamed of me when I prayed the Salvation Prayer.  Jesus Christ is not ashamed of me now!  Sinner that I am, flawed and riddled with mistakes that cannot be undone, Jesus Christ has lifted me out and raised me up.  He has promised me eternity in heaven.  He has promised to be with me at all times.  He has never abandoned me or forsaken me.  Why should I be ashamed of Him?

I am a human who sins, yet I will not allow myself to be ashamed to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.  I am not just a fan or a follower, I am a disciple.  With the help and the power of the Holy Spirit of God who lives in me, I will tackle this issue of dying to self.  

May the love of Jesus Christ invade your hearts today.  May you never be ashamed to be a disciple and a believer in Jesus Christ.  May you stand up and learn to die to self today and give up those selfish "what about me" attitudes, in Jesus name I pray, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...