Monday, December 8, 2014

A JOURNEY TO THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS - DECEMBER 8TH



Luke 1:35  And the angel answered her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God. 

Today as I sit here I am taken back to a time in my life where I thought I knew all there was to know about the birth of Jesus.  But yesterday I realized something that I never fully understood from this verse.  My pastor pointed it out to me and since then it has been turning around in my brain as I try to grasp the intensity of it all.  You see Mary was told that the Holy Spirit would come upon her and the power of the Most High God would overshadow her.   God came down from heaven and planted a seed of greatness inside of her body and also her heart.  From the moment that angel appeared, Mary's life was never the same again, everything changed.  As God overshadowed her, she was  confused and bewildered.  She didn't understand what was happening or how it was happening, all she knew was that some day it would all make sense. She trusted in God even in the midst of the confusion.   All she knew was that she was carrying the Son of God.  God was living and growing inside of her.  Everyday she became more and more filled with God.  As she allowed her heart, her body and life to be overtaken by God, she grew not only physically but emotionally and spiritually. You see I totally understood that God was living inside of her body, but I never stopped to think that her heart was also being filled with God.  

Okay this may seem totally off track but just bare with me here.  I have flown on many airplanes and when I fly on a cloud and dreary day, it is never as exciting.  As we finally get off the runway and into the air, there is a thick layer of clouds.  There is nothing to be seen.   I can't see the ground because of the density of the clouds and I can't see above for the same reason.  Confusion sets in because I can't see where I am headed.  I feel like I am in a fog with no way out, but then eventually as the plane keeps flying it gets high enough to pierce through the dark and dreary clouds to find a clear blue sky with sunshine. A breakthrough!   Yea!!

Life is like this.  We go through tough times that we do not understand.  We face storm clouds of biblical proportion and expect a breakthrough only to find more clouds and more clouds. We become overtaken by these clouds our life becomes confused and our minds become bewildered.  We are lost and hopeless, overshadowed by clouds of depression that never leave us.  These clouds end up affecting everyone we come in contact with.  Bitterness, resentment, anger, greed, jealousy and envy are just a few of the emotions that can overtake us when we are facing the storm clouds of life, unless we have the seed of God Himself in us.  Sometimes even as believers we forget about that seed, we neglect it and ignore it.  We become ugly and bitter on the inside and outside.  

As a believer, as a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit has come upon me and I have been overshadowed by the power of my Most High God.  Which means that I have the seed of God Himself inside of me(the Holy Spirit).    If I nurture this seed by reading His Word and study His Word, I will have the power of God available inside of me to face any dark cloud because I know that His light is shining inside of me.  It doesn't matter what happens to me on the outside, what matters is what is happening to me on the inside.  Do I appear to have God growing inside of me?  Am I trusting God in the midst of the storm?  What do my words and actions say about me?  Mary had an amazing attitude in the midst of her storm and we need to do the same thing!  

Almighty God and Father, thank you for giving me the seed of hope and love.  Help me to allow this seed to grow and take over my life.  Allow more of you to be seen and less of me, in Jesus name I pray, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...