Friday, December 12, 2014

A JOURNEY TO THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS - DECEMBER 12




"There's a party goin' on right here
A celebration to last throughout the years
So bring your good times and your laughter too
We gonna celebrate your party with you"

These lyrics from a song called "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang, speak volumes to me about Christmas time.  It's a celebration, a giant party that happens all over the world.  It's a time to rejoice and put on our party hats and ugly sweaters that we only wear at this time of year.  It's time to give gifts and rejoice because we have been given the most priceless gift of all, salvation and eternal life.  Given to us through a baby boy born in Bethlehem over 2,000 years ago, we remember this gift and celebrate it!  

No "bah humbug" attitudes are allowed!  No "poor pitiful me" attitudes allowed!  I totally understand it can also be a very painful time of year for those who have lost loved ones.  We miss them, we wish they were here to celebrate with us, but as believers we should rejoice because they get to celebrate Christmas with the one we celebrate at Christmas.  Imagine that party!!  Christmas in heaven would have to be the most amazing time ever.  The memories, the rejoicing, the singing, and the praising is something I look forward to, someday.  

For me it's not about the presents I receive, its about the presents I give.  It's about buying presents for those children whose parents don't have money to buy their own children presents.  For me it's about giving.  It's about celebrating the most precious and priceless gift of all, love!  

Over 2,000 years ago, love was born in a stable in Bethlehem.  Love was given to us and brought into this world through a virgin.  Love was proclaimed in the star that shined brighter than any other star.  Love was given the name of Jesus Christ.  Love was given to us through a baby boy.  Love was proclaimed by an angel to shepherds.  Throughout all the ages, this love has encompassed us and surrounded us.  This amazing love, this unfailing love, this never ending love is something that requires a celebration!   

Luke 1:46-49  And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. 

When I read this verse I can imagine the joy that Mary was feeling.  It had to be mind blowing.  to carry the Savior of the world, had to be indescribable. The amazing thing about Mary is that she was not proud or boastful about it.  She could have went all around bragging that she was pregnant with the Messiah that they had been waiting on for.  "Hey guess what?  I am pregnant with the Son of God!" but she didn't.  She could have made all her friends jealous and sick with envy, yet she didn't.  She remained humble, but at the same time, she celebrated what was happening to her.  She knew that what was happening was a true miracle.  She praised God and rejoiced at being chosen to give birth to the long awaited Messiah.  She knew it was nothing she had done to deserve this, it was all God.  

2,000 years ago, love came down to rescue me and you.  Love came down to set us free from sin.  Love came down in the life and breath of a baby boy.  This love has transformed me, it can transform you also.

Lord, thank you for that gift of love that was born in a stable over 2,000 years ago.  Thank you for rescuing me with your amazing love.  At this Christmas time, help me to share your love with everyone I meet, in Jesus name I pray, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...