Wednesday, May 27, 2015

OUR STUFF VS. GOD





1 John 2:15-16  Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you.  For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. 

Oh we don't want to admit it to anyone, let alone ourselves, but there are many times our stuff interferes with our time with God.  Our cell phone rings, our computer speaks "you've got mail", our favorite TV program comes on, the couch we bought a few years ago is not in style any longer, our car has 25,000 miles on it, time to trade it in on a new one.  All these excuses, all thee things, all our possessions can be more important if we allow it to.  

Let's be honest here, we all have some awards and trophies, plaques and certificates we have hanging in our offices and homes.  These things let others know what we have accomplished and how smart we are.  Our possessions are treasured, taken care of, washed, dusted and polished in order to look good.  Our homes are filled with the best money can buy.  And if we are honest with ourselves we love our stuff.  Sure some have more stuff than others but regardless of how much stiff we have, we love it.  We worked hard for all our stuff.  We may have scrimped and saved to buy our stuff.  But what is our stuff doing for us?

Nothing!  Honestly our stuff is empty meaningless garbage that will someday fill landfills.  Rust will eat away at it, moths will devour it, an someday we will get tired of our stuff and leave it for the garbage man to pick up.  Look around on garbage day in your neighborhood and you will find a lot of stuff that once head a place of prominence in someone's home. Dumps are filled with one time treasures.  Junk yards are filled with cars that were once upon a time, a classic.  Pawn shops are filled with treasures that were bought on credit.  We are over stressed and over worked to fill our house and our lives with stuff.  Really?  

Let me be honest, I love my stuff too!  I am human and I have neglected God to be able to spend time on my stuff.  How dumb am I?  I have learned over the years that nothing we have now will come with us when we die.  All the things my father worked for all his life, is still here.  He is not.  All the things he used to spend time on, are still here or have been given away.  You think I'd learn,   

I do not want to conform to this world, it is a daily battle and sometimes even a minute by minute battle.  The thing is what God has for me is so much better than anything I can buy or earn on this earth.  What pricetag can I put on peace and joy?  What cost can I put on my health?  What value do I place on my family and friends?  What am I willing to pay for eternity in heaven?

My friends, stuff will come and stuff will go, but God, Jesus Christ and eternity is priceless.  Our eternity has already been paid for.  Spending time with God is one of those things that recharges my soul and infuses my heart with love.  I will not allow my stuff to keep me from God any longer.  How about you?

Lord, forgive me for falling for the ways of this world.   Help me to never again love the things of this world and instead love you more than life itself, in Jesus name I pray, amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...