Monday, August 28, 2017

FRIENDSHIPS


There is something about these beautiful flamingos that inspire me and get me thinking about friends, true friends.  You know those friends who are there for you in good times and bad. Those friends who encourage you but also are honest with you and are willing to point out your mistakes and failings.   It's so easy for us to fall for those fair weathered friends who are there during the good times, those friends who are there for you as long as you pick up the tab, those friends who are there for you because you listen and listen and listen until your ears bleed.  We all know people like that, don't we?  They never have enough money to pay the tab, they don't want to listen to your problems they have enough to deal with, they don't want to hear the truth.  During my lifetime I have seen friends come and go.  I am very picky with who I let into my "circle of trust". 

"It's all about me" friendships are difficult for me.  You know, those ones who talk about themselves and their families, their friends, their trips, their awards, etc.  The ones who never ask you how you're doing because they honestly don't care. The ones who feel free to point out everything you do wrong but if you utter one little word to point out something they're doing wrong, they blow up and stomp like a toddler who doesn't get their way.  Then there is the "gossiping" friendships.  Those ones for me are almost impossible to bear.  They have the new gossip on the couple down the street, they have the skuttlebut on the new pastor at church, they heard from a friend, of a friend, of a friend about that beautiful lady that just moved into the neighborhood.  Sound familiar?

We've all had friends like these and for me it is difficult.  I have been hurt by so many people who I thought were my friends.  Rumors, gossip, betrayal and jealousy has led me to disolve many friendships over the years.  I guard my heart closely and that's a good thing for me.  If I don't I end up in a situation or circumstance I wasn't meant to be involved in.  I end up in pain and heartache.  I end up in a fowl mood and angry.  I end up becoming someone I wasn't designed to be.  So yes, I guard my heart closely.  This wisdom for me has proven right and wise. 

Proverbs 4:23 Guard you heart for out of it flows the issues of life.

Who are you friends with?  Do they encourage you and lift you up?  Do they ask you about how you are doing and do they listen to you?  Do they ask for forgiveness when they've done wrong?  Do they bring you closer to Jesus or do they take you to the nearest bar?  Do you have to lower your moral standards when you are with them? 

My closest women friends draw me closer to Jesus.  They encourage me and lift me up and they actually listen to me.  Please be careful to guard your heart and choose your friendships carefully.



No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...