Monday, August 9, 2021

DISTRACTIONS

 



We are all on a path that is taking us on our own personal journey.  Even if you're married or in a committed relationship, the path we are on, the journey we are taking is unique and personal.  While many of us may be on the same path, our experiences are all quite different.  The past has influenced our path, people we have met along the way may have changed the course of our path.  Our thoughts, our perceptions, our expectations all have an affect on the journey we are taking.  Our priorities may also affect our path.  What is important to us?  Who is important to us?  What comes first in our lives?  Who comes first in our lives?  These questions may seem meaningless yet they have a very profound effect on the road we travel.

What hinders our walk down this path we call "life"?  What distracts us from what is really important?  What fears keep us from traveling down this path?  What burdens weigh us down and keep us from this journey?  What lies have we been listening to that distract us from the road that lies ahead?  What would it feel like to be able to release the cares and the burdens from this world?  What would it feel like to let go of the distractions of this world?  How utterly amazing would it feel if we could be set free?  How much more easily could we breathe if we could learn let go and let God lighten our load?

Along this path we are on, there are rest areas.  There are areas where we can stop, turn off the engine that runs our lives and just breathe in fresh air.  Imagine what it would be like if we could just stop running, stop trying to get the next best thing, stop paying attention to all those petty distractions.  For a moment let's do just that.  Try it!  Turn off the cell phone, shut down the computer, turn off the TV and just linger.  Linger in the very presence of God and feel His grace and love wash over us.  In the stillness and peace from no distractions, embrace His presence and allow all the stress, all the anxiety, all the chaos to just evaporate.  Just be still and listen....listen for what?  Listen for His voice.

"Listen for His voice?  Are you crazy?" I can hear some of you saying this right now.  But let me say honestly that I hear the voice of God talking to me through His Holy Spirit that lives in me.  BUT...it is only in the stillness and peaceful times when I have no distractions fighting for my attention.  To be honest it's only when I stop talking, stop asking and even stop praying long enough to hear from Him.  He whispers His truth to me.  He speaks of His great love for me.  He guides me and points me in the direction I am supposed to be going on my path in my life.  If I am surrounded by constant noise and meaningless distractions, I can't hear Him.

So today I challenge all of us to turn off, shut down, and walk away from the distractions in life that hinder us from our walk with God.  This path we are on with Him can be a glorious path if we learn to shut off, shut up and listen.  His very presence is waiting for our very presence.  Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...