Monday, November 16, 2015

IN CHRIST I AM - ABLE







You know I have been racking my brain for a few weeks on how to start this series I want to work on.  I tried to think of some catchy phrase to draw attention to what I am writing about, but I struggled for 2 weeks.  Then I prayed about it and God told me to just write and title it with the truth I am writing about and let Him do the rest, so here it goes.  

As believers in Jesus Christ we can sometimes be pitiful examples.  Our anger gets the best of us, our temper flares, words filled with hatred spew out of our mouth like a plague infecting everyone within ear shot.   Our worries overwhelm us into a state of depression so deep that we cannot see the light of day.  Our frustrations are evident on the roadways of our countries as we flip people off and curse at them when they cut us off in traffic.  Our political views are colored in "what's best for me" attitude.   Our constant whining and complaining send our friends running as fast as they can to escape another pity party.  Our selfishness is rampant in our "what about me" rants as we try to make sure everyone knows who we are.   

As I struggle to face reality of us believers, it saddens me.  I see so many angry, frustrated, selfish, worry filled, doubtful, hopeless and cocky believers.  Their example on this earth leaves non believers at a far distance, because quite frankly, they don't want what some of us profess to have.  "If that's what being a christian means, count me out."  As a catholic for many years I felt this way.  The examples of "christian" were not very Christ like in fact they were demeaning, finger pointing people who seemed angry and frustrated.  They had scripture verses memorized, but failed to put them into action.  Their words and actions left something to be desired.  

On the other hand I had met "Christians"  who lived pathetic, pitiful lives.  With a "woo is me" attitude and "I'm a loser" lifestyle that spoke volumes to me and not in a good way.  "God is punishing me for my sins",  "God hates me",  "I'm a worthless nobody", "God can't use me".  I am surprised some of them didn't walk around in sack cloth and ashes.  Their faces spoke volumes.  Never a smile, never a laugh, never a clap, especially in church.  God was serious business and He would bring fire and brimstone down on you if you were happy.   

Listen, I don't mean to offend anyone here.  For many years I struggled with myself, my words, my thoughts and my actions.  I didn't think I could control myself, this was just normal.  But slowly I began searching for more.  There had to be more to this believing in Christ stuff than being depressed or angry.  That is why I am writing this series.  Because for way too many years we have been missing out on who we are in Christ.  We have forgotten about what we can do with Christ on our side.  So follow me as I dive into who we are IN CHRIST.

Ephesians 6:12-13  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be ABLE to stand your ground, and after yo have done everything, to stand.

Without Jesus Christ on our side, without believing in Him, without worshiping Him, we are not able to do anything.  But with Jesus Christ, by believing in Him, by giving your life to Him, we are ABLE to stand before the enemy.  We are ABLE to do the unbelievable because He lives in us through the Holy Spirit.  We are ABLE to stand up to the enemy!  We are ABLE to accomplish more than we dare think or imagine.  We are ABLE to do things that normally in our own humanness we cannot do.

With Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we are more than conquers, we are are more than our human flesh, we are more than what we think we are, we are more than what others say we are, we are more than what the lies of the enemy says we are.  We need to cling to the truth of God's Word that says we are ABLE.  Not through our own strength or our own power, but by the power of Christ in us.  None of us should go around boasting about what we can do, because alone we can do nothing.  But with Christ "I do all things through Him who gives me strength."  

So as we sit here trying to devour this word ABLE and all it means, we need to stop the pity parties, stop the road rage, stop the anger, stop the cursing, stop the finger pointing, stop the judging, stop the "loser" mentality and claim the truth of God's Word which says we are ABLE to stand our ground because of Christ inside of me.   Yes we are ABLE to control our emotions and our tempers and our words and our actions and our thoughts.  Don't believe me?  Okay, what if you and your spouse were in a heated argument and your pastor or priest knocked on the door, would you control your emotions or keep on yelling and screaming?    

Listen I know that this is not always easy to grasp, but truth is always hard to face.  Anything worth having takes time and hard work, but with Jesus Christ on our side, we won't fail.  Through Christ we are ABLE to stand up and be the Christians He calls us to be, ABLE!

Lord, I know that through you I am ABLE.  For too long I have denied this truth and I have allowed the enemy to invade my words, my thoughts and my actions.  Forgive me.  Please work with me so that I will be ABLE to stand up and be counted as one of your children.  May my example be one that draws people to you, in Jesus name I pray, amen.   

1 comment:

  1. Father God I just want to thank you for the light of your word and how you have spoken to me through this post. Father you told me to wait patiently for you this morning after I prayed and you brought me here to talk to me and allow me to examine my walk with you.
    Father you said the steps of a good man is ordered by you. Order my steps today,

    ReplyDelete

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...