Friday, September 11, 2015

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE WORLD STOPPED TURNING?





I remember this day 14 years ago.  I am sure many of you do also.  You remember (as I do) where you were, who you were with and what you were doing when you heard the news.  Shock and awe is a gross understatement.  Devastated is probably a closer description of the emotion many of us felt.  Let's be honest, words cannot describe our feelings at that moment we heard and saw the news reports. 

I stopped dead in my tracks as tears ran down my cheeks.  My heart sank as I saw the towers fall.  I knew that thousands of people were dead.  I knew that policemen and firemen wee in those buildings trying to rescue those still inside.  I knew there were children who would never see their mom or dad again.  I knew there were spouses who would never see their spouse again.  The destruction was enormous and the devastation was obvious.  The face of New York and our country was forever changed.  The ideal that we were safe, vanished.  The reality of this day hit us hard.   Our comfort zone was gone.  For possibly the first time, we realized we were targets.  We let our guard down and  we were attacked by an enemy we had underestimated.  

We could sit here and make a list of every country, every ethnic background, every religion, and every radical group that could have targeted our country.   It would probably be a mile long.  We could list every possible enemy our country could have.  We could point fingers, fight them, wage war or have them dragged into court but the truth is that the true enemy we are fighting is not what we think.

The enemy is real and the enemy isn't a certain country or group of people, the enemy is the devil.  We underestimated him then and we underestimate him now.  He will use anyone or any thing to try to destroy us.  He will use those closest to us and those we don't know.  He is real and he is out for our hearts, our souls and our country.   He is our to steal our joy, kill our faith and destroy our families.  This is not a joke and not to be taken lightly.  So many believers don't even believe there is a devil.  Well let me tell you, there is one.  I have felt his wrath and dealt with his tactics.  Stop denying his existence and get ready to battle.

We have gotten so confused with who we are fighting that we actually begin fighting each other.   And this is what he wants to do!  If we turn against each other, then we will ignore the real enemy.  If we point fingers and judge others, we aren't fighting him.  Listen the devil is out to steal, kill and destroy everything and everyone is his path.  

John 10:10  The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows). 

  I love the way the Amplified version of the Bible says this verse.  Jesus Christ came to so that we could have and enjoy our life.  Can you imagine your life overflowing with joy?  Can you imagine your life overflowing with peace?  Why not?  

Listen I am not a preacher by any stretch of the imagination but I know that God wants us to enjoy this life He has given us.  He does not want us to be filled with guilt and despair.  He does not want us to live our life full of anger and hatred.  He does not want us to five feeling unloved and unforgiven.  And I don't think He wants us living under the shadow of the attacks on 9/11.  

I can sit and watch the news reports over and over and over again.  I can watch as thousands lost their lives when the towers fell, or I can look at the new towers built, I can focus on the lives that were saved and pray for those who lost theirs.  I can rejoice that I live in a country where I feel safe and free.  I can learn from the past and enjoy my life as it is now.  I can trust that God will work all things out for the good, even this tragedy 14 years ago.  

I will never forget what happened, but I won't dwell there.  I dwell in the shadow of my Almighty God who sent His Son, Jesus Christ, into this world so that I can have and enjoy this life He died to give me.  

Lord, please heal all those broken hearts that are remembering what happened 14 years ago today.  Help us to begin to focus on learning to enjoy this life you gave us.  Give us the wisdom, knowledge and strength to fight the true enemy, in Jesus name I pray, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...