Wednesday, April 29, 2015

GET OUT OF YOUR TENT!!!





Genesis 15:5  And he brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be." 


Like Abraham, for way too many years I have sat in my tent wondering what God wanted me to do with my life.  What gifts, what talents did God give me, if any?  What was I suppose to do for Him, if anything?  Oh I had my excuses.  I was shy!  At least that is what I was told from a very young age.  Whenever I was introduced to someone, I hid behind my mother.   To stand up and talk in front of people and talk was impossible.  I listened to the voices of my teachers, who were never very inspiring or encouraging.  I listened to the voices of the kids I went to school who teased me and laughed at me.  I couldn't sew like my sister or play a musical instrument like my brother.  So for years and years and years, I hid in my tent like Abraham.  

 My tent was my comfort zone.  There I was safe from the harsh realities of this world.  There I was safe from ridicule and teasing.  I didn't have to care what anyone else thought of me.  I didn't have to care what anyone else said to me.  I didn't have to worry about what anyone else would do to me.  It was my safety, my comfort zone!!!  I felt safe in my tent!    

   Instead of looking to God for answers I kept looking in the mirror at myself.  I kept replaying the voices of my past over and over again.  I looked at my circumstances instead of looking to God.  It was so easy to sit in my tent and throw pity parties.   It wasn't until I met Jerry that I actually started to feel good about myself.  He always encouraged me and told me how special I was.  He told me constantly how much he loved me and he made me feel special.  He'd bring me flowers, he'd open doors for me, he'd look into my eyes for what seems like hours and just make me feel loved.  Jerry gave me a glimpse of how much God loves me.  

You see, what I never realized until about 6 years ago was that God had given me a strong gift of faith but I never used it to step out of my tent.  I used it to get me through tough times, but never thought of my faith helping me to get out of my tent.  It wasn't until a very close friend looked at me and said, "You have an amazing faith I've rarely seen before.  God has a plan for you, not sure what but just be ready."  Those words hit me right in my heart.  For the first time I heard God whisper to me, like Abraham, "It's time to step out of that tent!  Look up at the heavens and stop looking at yourself and your circumstances."  I got it!   For the first time in my life, and with the encouragement I got from Jerry, I stepped out of my tent and never have gone back inside! 

Listen, I know that your tent, is your comfort zone, your safe place to hide.  But in doing so you are also hiding from the amazing things God has planned for you.  That tent may make you feel safe but it's not!  It is a dangerous place to live.  The tent will keep you from God's blessings!  It will keep you from the gifts and talents God has given you.  That tent will keep you from living a rich and full life.  God opened my tent door through Jerry but until I stepped out of that tent I didn't know what God had waiting for me.  Step out of that tent today!  Start looking up to heaven!  

Lord today I chose to step out of that tent I have hidden in for way too long.  Today I chose to look up to heaven and surrender my circumstances to you.  I am through living in my safe, comfy tent.  I chose to accept the amazing plan you have for my life, in Jesus name I pray, amen!

1 comment:

  1. I think we are all 'tent-dwellers' at heart. We have to learn to trust God enough to leave those comfort zones behind!

    ReplyDelete

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...