Monday, April 27, 2015

BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID!!






2 Timothy 1:7 (ESV)  for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 

2 Timothy 1:7 (The Message) God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible. 

Fear, that lousy 4 letter word that sends me shivering and shaking.   Fear brings up the worst possibilities and points out every failure and every doubt.  Fear is something I deal with.   
Fear of the unknown, fear of the future, fear of stepping out of my comfort zone, fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of getting sick, fear of what might happen and fear of what might never happen.  I can easily be overtaken by fear.  How about you?

False Evidence Appearing Real.  Why do we put such emphasis on something that may never happen?  I mean surely there are good fears that keep us on the right path in life, like fear of prison.  But honestly fear can cripple us.  I have a fear of heights.  I can ride roller coasters, but to ride the cable cars?  No way!  I can't explain it, can you?  I thought I's look up the definition for fear.

Fear, an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain or a threat.  Fear causes anxiety, stress, panic, nightmares, heart palpitations and phobias that overtake our lives.  Living a life filled with evil forebodings, apprehension, dismay, dread, terror, fright, panic and horror.  Why do I live with a spirit of fear because clearly it is not from God?

This verse isn't even talking about the fears I have discussed which is why for so long, I got this verse wrong.  It isn't the fear of the obvious things, it's the fear of using the gifts God has given us.  It's the fear of stepping out and stepping up into the spiritual gifts God has given us.   It's the fear of asking someone, "Do you know Jesus?"  It's the fear of speaking up and saying, "Yes, I love Jesus Christ." It's the fear of our friends rejecting us for being Jesus followers.  It's the doubt and fear that we won't be able to say the proper things to change an atheist into a believer.  At least for me it is.

God does not give us a spirit of fear.  He gives us power!  He gives us love!  He gives us self control!  I love The Message version.  God doesn't want us to be shy with the gifts He gives us.  He wants us to be bold!  He wants us to be loving!  He wants us to be sensible!  God has given us power to trample over Satan and Satan hates that!  In fact that is why Satan fills us with so much fear.  He knows that if he fills our mind and thoughts with fear of stepping out and discussing Jesus with our family and friends, then he may have saved a soul from eternity and condemned them to hell.  

When I learn to rely on God's power that is in me, then Satan's lies have no foothold on me and maybe, though the power of God, I can bring a soul to eternity with me.  I need to be bold, and yes that thought frightens me, but I have to trust God is with me and He will speak through me.  I need to be courageous, and yes this also sends chills down my spine but I have to rely on God to guide me.  I need to be secure in the fact that no matter what anyone else thinks about me, no matter what anyone else says about me, no matter how many people laugh at me, God is looking down on me and smiling, saying; 
"That's my girl!  Look at that boldness!  Look at that courage!  Look at that faith!  Look at that power!  Isn't she amazing?" 

Fear is still in me, but when I learn to step out inspite of my fear I'm telling God I believe in Him and  His power at work in me.  I want Satan to be afraid of me!  Every morning when I get out of bed, I want Satan to start shaking in his boots.  Who's with me?

Fear, you have no place in my life!  In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to flee!  Lord, fill me with your power, your love, and self control.  Help me to be bold with the gifts you have given me.  help me to love others, like you love us.   Crush that fear that lives in me, in Jesus name I pray, Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...