Friday, March 20, 2015

LET'S GET REAL ABOUT THIS




1 John 2:3-6  And we can be sure that we know Him if we obey His commandments.  If someone claims, "I know God," but doesn't obey God's commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth.  But those who obey God's word truly show how completely they love Him. That is how we know we are living in Him. Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did. 

Let's get real about these verses, they hurt!  At least for me they do.  If I am honest with myself the believing in Jesus part of this Christian life is easy.  For me the believing in Jesus is a no brainer. History proves it, at least for me.  Reading His story it becomes crystal clear that no one would ever die the death He died if He wasn't really the Son of God.  No one would endure the torture He went through if they were not being truthful.  I believe in God!  I believe that Jesus Christ was and is God's one and only Son. He was born to set us free from the sin that rules our lives condemns us to a certain hell.  I believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead and is now seated with God in heaven.  I believe that I have the power of the Holy Spirit of the living God, living within me.  Call me crazy, call me a fool, but I believe!

That for me is the easy part.  For me the complicated part is obedience.  I have always been one who is considered a free spirit.  If I could float around on a cloud all day, I would.  I love to relax and enjoy my life.  For me life should be easy and uncomplicated.   When I think of hanging a list of rules and commands over my head, a sense of dread comes over me.  The stupid thing is Jesus's one main command He left us is this:

Luke 10:27  "'You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.' And, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" 

You see all the commandments are wrapped up in one command.  Love God, love your neighbor and love yourself.  Sounds simple doesn't it?  Yet it is not simple, at least for us human beings.  We like to seek revenge when someone hurts us, we like to get even with people who have wronged us, we like to sit in judgement and point fingers at those who are different, we like to gossip about people and spread rumors to embarrass others and humiliate them.  We like to beat others up physically and with our mouth.  We like to laugh at others expense and we like to tease them about physical abnormalities.  We stare at those who appear different.  We snicker and whisper behind peoples backs.  And we dare call ourselves Christians or believers?

Obedience of this command is essential for me.  Loving others may seem simple but it's not and if you are being honest with yourself, you will admit loving others can sometimes be the hardest thing to do, especially if we feel they don't deserve our love.  As believers we should live our life as Jesus did.  He sat with sinners and non believers.  He talked with people no one else wanted to.    He touched the lepers and the outcasts.  But just because He died on the cross and ascended into heaven does not mean His efforts to love others ended with Him.  Today He still loves the broken, tattooed, homeless person on a street corner.  He loves the drug addict and the alcoholic.  He loves the sinner,    He loves the unlovable.  How does He still do this today?  Through you and I!  Let's get real about this.  It's not always easy to love everyone, but Jesus commanded it!  

So let's get off our high horse and step down off that pedestal we put ourselves on and get real.  Let's go after the sinners the way Jesus went after us sinners.  

Lord, your example of loving others is one I want to relate to.  Oh how I long to obey your command to love one another.  Help me and guide me as I walk my path in love and only love.  In Jesus name I pray, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...