Monday, September 11, 2017

RIDING THE STORM OUT

  


It seems like I have sat here for weeks watching the weather channel.  It seems totally unreal to imagine disaster after disaster.  Fires out west, 2 massive hurricanes and an earthquake.  there is so much pain and anguish, so much heartache and devastation.  Homes are gone, memories washed away or burnt up, lives are forever changed.  It saddens me to see all of this happening yet I am intrigued by the fact that because of all of this disaster there is no race issue, no religion issues, no conflict, no entitlement issues.  There is only unity.  There is only neighbor helping neighbor, believers helping non believers, black heloing white, white helping black, people reaching out to help other people.

Actually it saddens me to think these things have to happen to get our attention at what is really important in life.  Why does it take a tragedy for us to get our priorities in order?  I mean think about it for a moment we don't think much about our elderly parents because we are so busy with our own lives and our busy schedule, that is until they get sick or break a hip and end up in the hospital or worse.  We take our spouses for granted until a tragedy hits.  We even forget to take care of our own health until we are sick or hurt.  We are burdened with chains of regrets and hangups all because we got our priorities screwed up.

Marriages and familes are destroyed when our priorities become selfish.  Lives are forever changed by our priorities being out of order.  Is it really that important to save money for retirement that you may never live to see?  Is it really important to be right in every argument?  Is it more important to relax instead of driving a hour to see our aging parents?  Why is it more important to eat that comfort food instead of eating something healthy?  Is it really more important to realx at home instead of going to church to spend time with God?

That's right I pulled the God card out.  When is the last time you read the Bible?  When is the last time you prayed?  When is the last time you prayed for your spouse, or with your spouse?  When was the last Sunday you were in church?  Listen I know life is busy and chaotic and hectic, BUT if we don't put God as our first piority our lives will not be all they could be.  For me it is when the storms in my life hit me that I am reminded how important God is to me.  The storms always remind me that my priorities are messed up and I need to reevaluate my life.  For me God has to come first!  It makes me sick when a storm hits because I instantly know I need to look at myself (no one else) and ask God what's wrong that I need to change. 

A storm makes me unhappy until I realize that no one is responsible for my happiness by me.  If I'm nnot happy, if I'm quick to anger, if I'm quick to cry, if I'm quick to blame someone else....that is my que to look in the mirror and reconnect with God.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord and He has every right to bring a storm into my life to wake me up before it's too late.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...