Monday, September 19, 2016

IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING NICE TO SAY, THAN DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL




Ephesians 4:29  Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Oh how I remember my mom telling me this all the time as I was growing up, "If you don't have something nice to say, than don't say anything at all."  Those words still ring through my thoughts before I dare open up mouth, well most of the time at least.  Hey I'm human as we all are.  Most of us mean well when we speak but we can lose our focus in the heat of the moment and say things we deeply regret.  We open our mouth and insert our foot.  I know I'm not the only one who does this because I have heard people talk to others and it makes me wonder if their mom talk them what my mom taught me.  Did your mom teach you this also?  I wish all of us would live by this golden rule.  This world would be a much better place.  

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is another old saying but this one is bull.  Oh words may not physically hurt us but words can hurt us in ways that no one ever sees.  Bullies take pride in their words, as well as their fists sometimes.  Well meaning people often speak without thinking.  Family and friends offer us their free advice and their opinion without asking us if we want it.  Then there are the people who are only trying to help us.  They seem to know it all and no problem telling you how wrong you are.  Sound familiar?  

Oh listen I understand that we are all human beings and we screw up and sin every single day.  We cannot always control what happens in our lives, but we can control our mouth.  "I just have to give you a piece of my mind"  Have you heard that one before?  Well let me tell you if some of us would actually listen to the way we speak we would sadly realize that many of us can't afford to give anyone a piece of our mind because quite frankly many of us have little mind left to give.  We've given so many people a "piece of my mind" that there isn't much left.  OUCH!

Yea I know that hurt some of you and in fact some may stop reading right now after that one.  Am I using my words to build you up?  I'm sorry I got carried away.  But listen this is the truth sad with love....we need to choose our words wisely.  If we wouldn't want it said to us, why would we say it to someone else?  There is so much judgement and pride and selfishness in our words that it is sickening.  Oh trust me I am speaking to myself with blog also.  Our words can be a weapon or a blessing.  They can bring life or death.  How many suicides could have been prevented in this world if we would take time to think about what we are saying?  How many marriages could have been saved if we chose our words more carefully?  How many of us would have our lives radically changed by a few encouraging words?  How many of us are willing to change our own words in order to encourage someone else?  

"Let NO unwholesome talk come out of your mouth"  To me that means that our words matter to God.  When we talk to ourselves, when we talk to others, basically any time we open our mouth we should speak with words that build others up.  Oh it's so easy to point out others faults and tell them everything they're doing wrong.  We need to help point people in the right direction if their doing something wrong or dangerous, but there is way we can use our words to uplift people while pointing them in the right direction, but it takes work.  That's the clincher.  Many of us don't want to take time to think about what we're gonna say before we say it.  We'd rather speak our mind.

Listen I want to encourage all of us right now to stop and think before we speak.  In our own power, we can't do this.  With our own patience, it's hard to do this.  It is only through a relationship with Jesus Christ that I have learned how important words are.  Words carry meaning and your words say a lot about the condition of your heart.  So please let's become beacons of light in a dark world.  Let's use our words to bring healing to the broken.  Let's use our words to encourage others the way Jesus did.  

Jesus Christ gives me the perfect example of how to speak.  He (for the most part) spoke softly, calmly and with love.  He used words to build people up, not tear them down.  The only time He used words to get people's attention was when He spoke to those "religious" people who thought so much of themselves. Listen I'm not perfect, never will be, but I am a work in progress.  I am doing my best to keep my words in check.  "If I don't have something nice to say, I won't say anything at all."  Will you join me?  


1 comment:

  1. Yes, Joined in the risen Son to do the speaking by Father in Spirit and truth in the Holy Spirit by his being risen Given. Father does this for us in beleif to Son is risen. And one will see this clearly, if one does not give up in beleif to this truth. For adversities do come to all that are in beleif to he is risen and alive forever, thanks to Father approval as the way, the truth and new life to be given after all got forgiven form Father through Son, done once at Son's death once for everyone as forgiven 100/% for eternity, no more death to be done for any more forgiveness to be given. All that be left is to believe this, in personal prayer to Father, in thanksgiving and praise for this as done today. Even as King David said this is done even before the time it actually was, as is right now inPs. 100:4, and 103:12, The second witness to this is Job 19:25. these and all that had chosen belief before the Christ, the dividing line of all History ever, before the cross and after the cross. They looked forward to this side of the cross, as look are in belief on this side of the cross in the resurrection of Son for us. Thank you Sis for this and are you and my Mother the same for these things you just stated in post my Mom told me too

    ReplyDelete

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...