Wednesday, August 31, 2016

WAR ROOM






Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.  Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.  


Over a year ago I was handed a book that changed my life and especially changed my prayer life.   A friend of mine at church literally shoved a book in my hand and said, "You have to read this!"   She then proceeded to tell me she could not put the book down.  It took her only 2 days to read it.   It was a must for me and she knew it.   So I took the book and looked at the title...."War Room".  Now I had heard about the movie, I was looking forward to it, but I didn't know there was a book, so I read it.   She was right, I could not put it down.   This lady, Miss Clara, intrigued me.   Her witty talk and pricy comebacks made me stop and think about myself.   Could I ever be bold enough to talk with someone the way she did?   Could I dare ask the questions she asked Elizabeth?  I wondered.   To have that kind of faith and boldness was utterly amazing and inspiring.   The came the movie.

After reading the book I was so excited for this movie.   The weekend it opened I told my husband we had to see this movie.   I didn't ask him, I told him.  I had to see it.  I had to experience it.   I had to feel it.    Along with my mother in law, Jerry and I walked into a packed theater.  The atmosphere was different.   There was a sensing that this was gonna be a movie experience I had never been a part of before.   I grabbed my tissues and sat in anticipation waiting for it to begin.   Since I read the book, I sort of knew what was coming, or so I thought.    Let me just say this, reading it and watching it were two very different experiences.   I was moved to tears so many times during the movie that I think I used a whole pack of Kleenex.  

At the very end of the movie, when Miss Clara said that final prayer, I wanted to fall on my knees and pray like that.   Let me be honest here....I read the book 3 times and took notes.   I saw the movie in the theater 3 times.   I bought the movie from a Christian book store the day it came out.    I have watched that movie probably 13 times.    I bought Priscilla Shirer's book "Fervent" and took notes.   This movie inspired me in a way no other movie ever had.  I was so deeply touched and moved that I do my best to make sure everyone I talk to has seen it.   

I don't know about you but my prayer life for most of my life consisted of saying the Our Father and the Hail Mary.   I used to pray the rosary almost every night.  While the words of these prayers are touching and meaningful, the idea of simply repeating the same prayers over and over seemed pointless to me.   I admired my parents for being faithful and saying these prayers every night, but for me I always felt like there had to be more.   I always felt that repeating a prayer was way too easy and to me it seemed meaningless.   Like some rouge routine that had to be done.   It was like I thought God expected me to say these prayers every night whether I felt like it or not.  Growing up, I would stand in church saying the Our Father and I would become offended by the number of people who seemed to simply repeat this beautiful prayer like it was a memorized saying to simply repeat.  I would feel sick to my stomach, yes physically ill.   Didn't they realize what they were saying?  

I always had a desire to pray better.   Even though it was never really talked about much in my catholic schools, I always felt prayer should be some thing more than simply repeating words.   I felt inspired to pray differently but I didn't.  I wanted to "fit in".  The idea of praying in my own words and my own ideas seemed strange to me.  The idea was foreign to me but still I felt drawn into a unique prayer life, but always put it out of my mind.  I didn't think I could or should pray the way I felt driven to.  Still prayer fascinated me.  The idea of praying to God using my own words and scripture verses was intriguing no matter how I tried to bury it.   Then I stepped in Cedar Creek Church in Toledo and my prayers began to change.  

God kept bringing prayer into my thoughts, the books I read, and then last year "War Room " happened.    I found my calling, my gifting and my life line.    This movie still touches my heart and soul and spirit.   It has brought clarity to my prayer life, and yes I have a war room alone with all kinds of journals filled with my prayers.    I have lists of scriptures I include in my prayers and I have them taped on my walls.  By praying in my own unique way, I have finally my answer to my prayer life.   

I may never pray exactly like Miss Clara did, but I have grown my prayer life immensely because of this movie.   I thank God for this movie!   It not only changed my life, it has changed many people's lives all over the world.   I pray you allow this movie to challenge you and change your prayer life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...