Monday, November 27, 2017

SERIOUSLY?



Life involves a series of choices.  When we choose wisely, life is good.  When we choose poorly, life sucks.  In our lifetime we will have many opportunities to choose our words.  In fact every second of every day we have a choice to make in regards to our words.   Does we speak without thinking?  Or do we take a moment and think about what we want to say and how to say it?  Or we can make the sometimes wiser choice and keep our big fat mouth closed?  For me many times I make a conscious decision to keep my mouth shut.  I remember when I was growing up my mom constantly reminded me this:  "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."  So to this day I do my best to remember this and that is why I am sometimes quiet.  Notice I said sometimes.  I am human after all (at least I think I am).  LOL.

There are times we are tested to use our words wisely.  Like during an argument it can be very easy for me to forget this saying I try to live by.  We all do.  In the heat of the moment we feel we need to defend ourselves so we spout off a list or wrongs, a list of offenses and maybe even a few of those bad words we used to get punished for as a child.  We defend ourselves by bringing someone else down.  We beat them up with our words, after all "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me", right?  After all there is no physical damage done to someone else after we've let them have a piece of our mind through our mouth.  We use our words as weapons and while there are no outward, visible signs of damage, we don't notice how defeated the other person looks.  Sure there are no scars we can see, but internally we have broken their spirit and bruised their hearts.  

I have used my words as weapons in the past and I have experienced people who have used their words as weapons against me.  When we choose to criticize others, when we choose to point fingers and when we choose to tease, we choose to bring death to others.  Our words can carry a destructive power that can cause mass destruction.  The thing I've come to realize in my 56 years of living is that people who use their words as weapons are doing so to make themselves feel better and more superior than others.  Instead of using fists, we use our words, instead of looking in the mirror and saying "what's wrong with me?" we concentrate on what's wrong with everyone else.  We have no problem telling others what they're doing wrong, but God forbid someone do the same thing to us.  

Words are powerful, even if no one else hears them because God hears every word we speak.  If we had to answer to God for every word we spoke, would we change our words?  If we really knew that God hears our words and our tone of voice, would we speak differently?  If we had our words thrown back in our faces, how would those words affect us?  Words bring life or death, so what are our words saying to others?  Think about that for a moment.   If our words could literally kill someone, would we change how we speak?  Well our words may not literally kill someone else, but how many suicides have been caused by someone's words?  How many marriages have been destroyed over words?  How many families have been torn apart by someone's words?

I can honestly picture God in heaven crying over the way we speak to each other.  He gave us words to bring life and healing.  He gave us words to encourage others and build others us.  Words should give us hope and make us feel loved.  Words should change someone else for the better and make their life just a little brighter.  I recently heard a story of a family who was having a young man spend the night.  This young man had spent the night at other people's homes and money and other things came up missing after he left, so this family was warned by well meaning people.  So when the young man walked into the home, the dad looked at the young man, shook his hand and spoke life into his heart.  "Wow!  You have a very powerful handshake.  You must be a very strong young man.  I see in you something rare and unique.  I see greatness in you."  That young man left the next day, nothing was missing and all went well.  Years later that young man told the dad how much his words changed his life for the better.  Our words carry power!!!!!

We must begin to use our words to encourage others and speak life into their lives.  Yes, there are times we need to confront others but we should always do it in love and with words that help, not words that hurt and condemn.  We have the power with our words, to change lives for the better.  Let's stop criticizing.  Let's stop beating people with our words.  Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...