Monday, January 8, 2018

THE GOOD OLD SUMMER TIME






"Oh, the good old summer time, yes the good old summer time" There is an old song that sings of summer time, I love this old song.  It reminds me of sun kissed cheeks, lazy days in a lounge chair by the beach and watching my grandchildren playing in the sand.  It reminds me of boat rides and tubing, sunshine and warmth.  There are many positive things we can say about summer especially after this arctic blast that has held us captive for weeks.  This picture is of my granddaughter, she loves playing in the sand.  By the time she was done sand was everywhere.  In every crevice, every crease there was sand.  Sand, when it is shaded, is soft and comfy on a hot summer day.  I love the feel of sand between my toes, don't you?

But oh my sand can become very uncomfortable when it gets in places it shouldn't be in, like in a diaper, or inside a wet bathing suit.  It can cause chaffing, skin rashes and discomfort.  It can be harsh to delicate skin and can be rather uncomfortable to deal with, especially if it's not dealt with.  Have you ever tried to sleep with sand in between your bed sheets?  Not very fun!  When that happens, the sheets have to be changed.  I must deal with the truth that is lying in between my sheets.  Even though it's not easy to do when you're exhausted and frustrated, the sand must be dealt with or else.

Sin is a lot like sand.  It can seem very pleasant and even soothing and soft. Sin can seem like something positive, the enemy likes it when sin becomes okay.  Like sitting in the cool shade on a sandy beach, sin can and will be deceptive.  It will lie to us and lure us into believing it's okay.  God's okay with our sin.  He's already forgiven us so why not just keep on sinning.  Let's continue to sleep with our boyfriend while attending church, let's continue to complain about our spouses while sitting with them in church, let's continue to gossip and pointing fingers while we praise God.  Seriously?????

James 4:8 Come near to God and He will come near to you.  Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Oh the first part of this verse is all sunshine and roses, but I truly don't feel we can read just the first part without dealing with the truth of the second part.  It's comforting to read, "Come near to God and He will come near to you."  But the next part hurts.  "Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded."  Listen I have to be totally honest here....I am a sinner!  I must wash my hands everyday!  I must purify my heart all the time because I can be double-minded.  In my mind and my heart I know that I cannot draw near to God until I admit that I am a sinner and a double-minded fool.  Admitting my sins is the first step in drawing near to God, at least for me.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

CHEERS TO 2022

  I know it's been a few weeks since I graced you with my blog...sorry my mind has been elsewhere and my heart just hasn't been in i...